27 Times I Really Needed My Mom

27 Times I Really Needed My Mom

You can call it home, you can call it safety, but I always called it mom.

159
27 Times I Really Needed My Mom

We all know those times: when we feel alone, helpless, or lost in the world. But one place always brings us back to reality and comforts us when we are sad. Some may call it home, some may call it safety, but I always call it mom.

She is the one to wipe our tears when they fall, to be our number one fan, to feed us a harsh taste of reality when we need it, and to guide us each step of the way. Whether you are branching off into college, moving out into your first apartment, or like me, living on your own because you lost that special someone, you will miss her.

This is to you, mom: 27 reasons barely cover how much I miss you.

1. When I had to cook for myself

My cooking is absolutely nothing like yours. Even when I lean toward healthy and fresh vegetables, you provided me with a soft spot for comfort food. Everyone in Binghamton, New York knew about your pierogies and they always begged to have them. We still pray that we can replicate your recipe someday, but I have a feeling your loving touch is the one ingredient we are missing.

2. When I had to schedule an appointment

I never minded going to the dentist or doctor, but mainly because you told me where I had to go and when. I did not think that scheduling a time for those appointments would be the most difficult part. And when you bring changing insurance into play, that switches up everything when you finally find an hour in your schedule to attend the visit. I never realized how much I should have appreciated this little thing.

3. When I went shopping alone

You hated shopping, but the couple times that we went to look for prom dresses or for other special occasions were like no other. I am sure you are in heaven laughing at me for that one time when you forced me to try on a polo. You quickly realized what I meant when I said that polos weren't for me when you cracked up as soon as I put the shirt on. Never again.

4. When I wanted my back to be scratched

Nothing was better than when you would scratch my back after a long day of work, school, or whatever was on my plate. I will never forget the times that you would play with my hair and scratch my head until I fell asleep. That will always be one of those mother/daughter moments that cannot be replaced.

5. When I wanted to watch scary movies with someone

Once in a while, I want to watch a good mystery or a movie that would give me goosebumps. I hate to admit it, but watching those movies alone is simply not the same. You were my go-to person for those genres and not many people share that same interest.

6. When I was upset about boys

I remember the time when I was dumped in high school after my first serious relationship. You had an instinct and could tell that something happened, and brought food into my room for three days straight while I wallowed. I just wish you could have been there to wipe my tears from the dozens of other guys who have tugged at my heart strings since then.

7. When I was not upset about boys

Alternatively, each time that I was excited about a new fling or wanted you to meet someone, I wished that you were there. I could have used your advice for every new relationship, and maybe you could have given your mother's intuition so I did not have to get my heart broken.

8. When one of your favorite songs come on

You used to watch CMT music videos while you cooked all day, and of course I remember all of your favorites. I keep a Carrie Underwood CD in my car whenever I need to feel closer to you. And I also dedicated one playlist on Spotify to you. I listen to the tracks everytime I need some extra guidance.

9. When me and the siblings fight

God sure blessed you with incredible patience to deal with the three of us. You were the calm in the storm when an argument broke out, but now we are forced to work things out on our own. Someone is always the mediator, and it is anything but easy to resolve issues among us.

10. When I felt like I had no one

You were always by my side when I felt alone. I will never forget the time in middle school when I had that huge argument with my closest friends. After losing some of them, I felt like I had no one, but you stood by my side. I know you still fly overhead, but sometimes I just need a reminder when I feel alone.

11. When I was excited about the smallest thing

I think I attained my ambition and tenacity to achieve great things from you. If anyone knows me personally, he or she knows how I am a dreamer and how I get inspired by the littlest thoughts. I tend to overwhelm people with my crazy ideas, but you would always smile, nod, and listen when I was excited about anything, even if I was in over my head.

12. When I wear something of yours

When I wake up on the wrong side of the bed and am getting ready, I always feel better when I have something of yours to wear throughout the day. Your earrings or necklaces are small reminders that you are watching over me, and they tend to give me the strength I need to take on the toughest times.

13. When I had to make career decisions

Lord knows how I fall in love with almost everything that I try to do. I have gone from wanting to be a lawyer, to a nutritionist, to a veterinarian, to a teacher, and the list goes on. My life is always changing, and I just pray that you are proud of me no matter what I do. LOFT allows me to inspire people and lets me use the talents I have attained over the years. You helped build that foundation, and I am forever grateful.

14. When I had trouble with finances

How did you do it? Honestly... budgeting for the car, for rent, for the dog, for food, and for everything else that I need to live is one of the hardest challenges I have faced. I am impressed that you could balance what little you had for so long. I definitely could use your guidance with finances because I often feel like I am in over my head with this one.

15. When I wanted to play a card game with someone

Most of my friends have no clue what I am talking about when I ask if they want to play Pinochle, 31, or Rummy. They think I am speaking a foreign language, but you would have hopped on the train immediately if I even mentioned one. You will always be missed at the table when we try new games, but we will remember all the laughs we always had together. Your seat will always be saved.

16. When I embarrassed myself

Sometimes it seems like I have two left feet because I trip and fall on my face almost on a daily basis. I am clumsy, and I have hundreds of moments when I am so embarrassed that I just want to hide under a blanket. But you never cared about making a fool out of yourself, and you were fully confident with who you were. You were unapologetically you, and that is the kind of confidence I want to have in myself.

17. When I felt overwhelmed

Balancing sports, studies, work, and family in high school was easy because I knew I had you to back me up. Nowadays, I get overwhelmed just as frequently but I don't have you to catch me when I fall. I can tell my anxiety has worsened and I am now learning different ways to deal with the overwhelming moments on my own.

18. When I felt like the whole world was against me

I mentioned feeling alone before, but often times, I feel like my beliefs are opposite from everyone around me. I also have felt like absolutely nothing is going my way, and the world it out to get me. During those times when I kept getting knocked down, you would have lifted me up. You showed me not to be a victim, and to fight for what I have in this life. Thank you for showing me how to never give up.

19. When I needed a little extra support

Falling down is now something that is normal to me. But those times when I struggled to get off the ground were the moments when your hand would have helped me up. I have learned to be self-sufficient, yet even the most independent people still need their moms from time to time. At my lowest I could have used your loving touch and a little extra support, even though I know in my heart that you are always still here.

20. When I got my first dog

I know how much you would have loved the little one. He is the apple of my eye, and I do not think I would still be here without him. Wyatt is an extra special part of my life considering I got him on Mother's Day; I tear up just thinking of the moment. Wyatt is definitely a handful, but he gives me the most love in the world. He will visit you again soon.

21. When I see other people with their own moms

I cannot help but to get jealous when I see the mother/daughter brunches or posts of friends with their moms. I envy people who can still spend those precious moments together because I would give anything to have another one with you. I pray for patience during those times, but also emphasize to others how they need to appreciate having that special someone each day.

22. When I make a mistake

And also when I make that mistake over and over again. You'd think I would eventually learn my lesson, but since no one is feeding me that harsh taste of reality, sometimes I fall short of that change. I am slowly learning how to break my bad patterns, but I have a feeling it would be easier with you.

23. When I did not know how to solve a problem

One of my greatest qualities is being a restorative person, but I have frequently hit walls when overcoming obstacles. Although I have no clue how to figure everything out, what I have learned is to try, and try again. If you were here maybe that process could be sped up, but I do appreciate being forced to do it on my own.

24. When I need to feel loved

I never questioned that I was loved when you were here. Today, I sometimes forget how loved I am. I could have used a reminder from you dozens of times, but I am sure you provide me with signs when I truly need them the most. Even though I sometimes doubt that feeling, I gradually am starting to believe how loved I really am.

25. When I need to forgive

With everything I have experienced, forgiveness has not been the easiest for me to give. Not just to others, but especially to myself. I am my worst critic, but I often remember how liberally you provided forgiveness to people who hurt you. When I need to forgive others, I try to remember how you used to do it, and the process starts to become easier.

26. When I need to remember how to love

Hand-in-hand with forgiveness, sometimes I need to remember how to love others. You taught me how to love unconditionally, and that is a lesson I will never forget. Kindness and love are two things I want to spread, and you pushed to make that a priority. Loving is something I can give freely and purely, and I will never let myself forget that.

27. When any moment goes by without you

Even though there are specific times that I am reminded of you, I truly miss you each step of the way. I doubt that this is a feeling that will ever go away, but I believe that it is a reminder of how blessed I was to have you as a part of my life for so long. Plenty of moments go by when you are not physically here, yet you are always in my heart. Missing you is less painful when I remember that.

Thank you, mom, for everything you have taught me. I wish you were here, but I know you are in a happier and safer place. I will be thinking of you not only during these times, but for the rest of my life.