Why the Miracle on Ice Was More Than a Hockey Game

A game that brought the country together

764
Why the
Miracle on Ice Was More Than a Hockey Game

In the spirit of the Fourth of July being this past weekend, I thought it would be appropriate to highlight a time our country was brought together after a time of great doubt. For the hockey fans out there, you most likely know the story of the 1980 men’s Olympic hockey team. For the general population, you probably have seen or at least heard of the movie, Miracle. For those who may not know the story, the 1980 men’s Olympic hockey team achieved the unimaginable and not only won against the USSR, but went on to win the gold medal. This moment in history isn't just about outstanding athletic talent. It is about how an underdog hockey team brought an entire nation together when there was no hope left.

Leading up to the 1980 Olympic Games, America was facing many challenges. Tension with the Soviet Union was high, and the American people were losing faith in overcoming this threat. There was a lack of patriotism. There was hardly any support in the government. Something needed to restore the passion, patriotism, and the belief of the American people.

The 1980 men’s hockey team was able to accomplish that. Regardless of background or interest, people were brought together to watch the game because it wasn't just about athleticism. It was about showing the USSR and the world that the U.S. was strong and capable of overcoming challenges.

When I look back at this moment, I can't help but think how much this relates to current affairs. It seems like for a majority of my childhood, America battled the toughest opponents, went through dark and depressing times, and people lost some of their hope. Maybe there’s another ‘Miracle on Ice’ moment in our midst, but for the time being, we can look back to 1980.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F07%2F06%2F635717435164803085-406206212_tumblr_mlk8n8xVzY1roykc8o10_400.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=292&h=ce5feb767c8b30b2f14c12ed186fdc7e85ffca7836fb6e8287d5f878ae5695b9&size=980x&c=1153338489 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2015%252F07%252F06%252F635717435164803085-406206212_tumblr_mlk8n8xVzY1roykc8o10_400.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D292%26h%3Dce5feb767c8b30b2f14c12ed186fdc7e85ffca7836fb6e8287d5f878ae5695b9%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1153338489%22%7D" expand=1]

I love America, and I am proud and grateful to live here. We are a country founded on hard work, determination, and perseverance. Time and time again we show the world that we are made of those qualities. We may go through hard times, but we always overcome. And we need to remember that.

If there’s ever a time you doubt yourself or even our country, look to Herb Brooks for some wise words, and never forget how capable you are.