Why We're So Attracted To Tinder

Why We're So Attracted To Tinder

It's the millennial way of dating.

90
Tinder Logo

Swipe left, left left left left. Ooh. Pause. They're cute. Swipe right. Left left left. Match! Pause for a moment of reflection, "Why am I on Tinder, again?" As much as people hate to admit it, the younger generation, especially the millennial generation, is easily sucked into this new online dating app that allows one to find, talk to, and possibly meet new people nearby. By swiping left or right on profiles that you are uninterested or interested in, respectively, the app uses algorithm-calculations and information/interests via Facebook to match people together. But what is the reason for why we are so addicted to Tinder in this modern age of technology and social media? In this article, I have come up with 11 reasons for why I feel that Tinder is so popular in the 21st century.

1. It's like a game

It's quite addicting. Tinder is very user-friendly and swiping left and right make it almost game-like. And the prize is always when there's a match!

2. You ACTUALLY get to judge profiles based on appearance

In real life, judging others based on appearance is looked down upon. However, on Tinder, this stigma is removed as it only takes one a few seconds to decide on whether to like or pass a profile.

3. There's a feeling of distance

The fact that Tinder moves dating into the more fast-paced and spontaneous realm of being on a smartphone app, there is a feeling of distance being created. Tinder permits users to hide behind a mask of relative anonymity and allows them to be themselves without experiencing real-time ramifications as they otherwise might when having a face-to-face interaction.

4. Ego boost

Of course. Getting matched with someone is a definite ego boost. And sometimes within the short span of time, there will be tons of matches. This sense of instant gratification makes one feel desired, loved, and wanted; things that a lot of people strive for and struggle finding. And being complimented or being told you're good looking boosts your confidence level just ever so slightly.

5. Streamlines the get-to-know-you process

Tinder streamlines the getting to know process by only letting a user message someone that they are mutually matched with. It removes a lot of the awkward getting to know someone phase through its built-in instant messenger that functions like texting. Meeting up with someone has never been easier and faster.

6. It's exciting!

7. It's easily accessible

Tinder is an app that is readily available for download on your smartphone and can be easily deleted as well.

8. It's the new "Thing"

So many people, including your friends, are using this app and it's easy to get sucked into it merely by curiosity's sake. After all, curiosity did kill the cat. Since Tinder uses Facebook to find people near you that have similar interests, chances are you might know them based on the fact that they are a friend of a friend of a friend.

9. It's on your smartphone

We never leave home without it and we're inseparable from our smartphones. Our eyes are constantly glued to the screen be it our laptops, the TV, or our phones. In this day and age where people are often too busy to try to truly get to know someone on a deeper personal level, online dating apps such as Tinder allow people to talk to and meet new people even amidst their busy schedules, especially with the easy access to social media and technology. Tinder provides a sense of instant gratification and freedom for the contemporary person living in the digital age.

10. EMOJIS!!

Who doesn't jump on the opportunity to use emojis to better express the way they feel? Emojis go way beyond the smiley emoticon so you can totally describe yourself in your bio with these fun little icons without saying a single word. It truly simplifies communication, and anyways, if they had questions or they wanted to know more, they'd ask, right?

11. It's simple and straightforward to use