Why #MaybeHeDoesntHitYou Is So Important

It's a life lesson you'll never forget.

9
Twitter

If you haven't heard about this eye-opening Twitter trend yet, it's time to listen up. This is one of the most important lessons a person, male or female, can learn when it comes to a healthy relationship. Everyone needs to know that domestic abuse can be more than just physical.

#MaybeHeDoesn'tHitYou made its debut in early May and immediately caught on. Women and men alike came out of the shadows to tell their stories. Through the hashtag followed by a small blurb, people around the world could shine some light on the domestic injustices that so many people experience but never think twice about being considered real abuse. Most people would only think of the stereotypical "man beating his wife" abuse, and not think of the emotional abuse many go through. Below are some of the tweets featured.

These tweets give sufficient evidence that abuse can take all kinds of form, that rear their ugly head as psychological abuse.

Psychological abuse involves trauma to the victim caused by verbal abuse, acts, threats of acts, or coercive tactics. Perpetrators use psychological abuse to control, terrorize, and denigrate their victims. It frequently occurs prior to or concurrently with physical or sexual abuse. (NCADV)

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence notes that this type of occurs just as often as physical abuse. According to their studies, 95 percent of men who physically abuse their intimate partners also psychologically abuse them. They also note that 4 in 10 women and men have experienced at least one form of coercive control by an intimate partner in their lifetime. Four in 10! Imagine college suites, give or take a few extra people; that's four of your average-joe-schmoe, perfectly stable suite mates that will experience such a horrible incident.

What kind behaviors fall under this umbrella?

Psychological Abuse can be seen in humiliation, control, withholding, isolation or any demeaning actions.

So why does this matter?

So many people will go on believing that their experiences are normal and thus permissible. With this hashtag, more people can now understand what is true of a healthy relationship.

This kind of abuse can also further impact the trauma of physical abuse which can affect you for a extreme long period of time. This can also affect those around you, especially children. By witnessing the abuse, children can learn that this behavior is acceptable and then perpetuating it with their own partners.

It is extremely important to grasp the concept of emotional abuse and be able to recognize it in your relationships and other's. When it comes to other's, always be open to hearing them and understanding their situation. Try to refrain from judgment on them staying in the relationship. These situations are extravagantly complex and the only thing victims need is your support.

Always know that you deserve to be treated with respect and love. You are a living functioning person, not someone's property. And if you do find yourself falling victim to such an indignity, know you are not alone and do not fear persecution.

Author's Note: If you or anyone you know is struggling with abuse in their relationship please reach out to anyone, or contact the National Domestic Abuse Hotline here or call 1-800-799-7233.