Why I love the church of Jesus Christ

5 Reasons I Love Being a Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

In a church formerly known as "Mormon", I have found my spiritual home

348

During my first trip across the country, I took a wrong turn and ended up in front of the Twin Falls, Idaho Temple. I parked my car and took photos. It was the most beautiful building I had ever felt. Three years later, I prayed to know how to become closer to Christ...and the rest is testimony!

I thought I would share 5 of the reasons I love being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

1. It completes a journey that took me 45 years

The Centralia Stake Center where I was baptized in 2013 reads "Visitors Welcome" under the name of the church

M Slighte

When I was baptized 6 years ago, it was the culmination of a spiritual journey that I had spent my entire life on. Christian by my mother's raising, my father was an angry atheist who quoted The New Testament as a child.

As an adult, I spent time worshiping with the Nazarenes as well as tying knots with Wiccan mentors. I found a connection to God in nature and I also studied Shamanism for a time. Then, on March 6th, 2013, I got down on my knees and asked my Heavenly Father how to come closer to Jesus Christ. His answer came in a still, small voice that I could feel rather than hear: I needed to be baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2. Whenever I need someone who understands, I have several numbers I can call

Sometimes the answers you need about your past are inside a Family History Center in the basement of a South Carolina church!

M Slighte

With my membership in the church came a network of the church family that extends around the world. Within that membership, there is SOMEONE who has experienced the same things we all have. Sometimes it takes a bit of seeking and praying to find those Latter-day Saints who can relate to our lives, but when we do, having someone who can empathize as well as understand our faith is very helpful. I prayed to find a therapist who was also a member of The Church. I found one who specialized in my needs in my own area. God is good.

3. There is a place to worship nearly every where I travel. I can attend church ANYWHERE!

A tiny branch in the middle of nowhere, aka Concho, Arizona, where I spent a few months

M Slighte

When I travel, I love to maintain my routine of Sunday worship and Sacrament attendance. Being a member of The Church makes that easy—they have a meetinghouse in most populated areas! I have personally attended church services everywhere from Washington State to a tiny town in Eastern Arizona, to Manchester, New Hampshire and even a tiny branch in Key West, Florida. I look forward to attending services outside of the United States when I visit internationally.

4. My church respects my relationship with God

The Salt Lake City Temple is one place the President of The Church seeks revelation for The Church as a whole

M Slighte

Since my pre-Baptism lessons, I have been learning about The Holy Spirit or The Holy Ghost. I LOVE the Holy Spirit. He is the third part of the Godhead, the only part of the three that does not have a body of His own, He resides in each one of us!

It is through The Holy Spirit that we feel comfort, a confirmation of the truth of the Gospel. IF we are listening closely, He will help guide us in our choices throughout our lives. When we receive revelation about our lives, it is through The Holy Spirit.

I LOVE personal revelation. The fact that our Heavenly Father cares so much about each and every one of us that He WANTS to communicate with us, to HELP us to make important decisions and prepare for important events. He knows each of our names, has numbered each of the hairs on each of our heads and wants us to succeed in those things we desire. He is our Father and communicates with us as often as we will listen.

5. I feel at home, with a family I never knew

I stopped in Logan, Utah to visit one of my Missionary Sisters at her home town

M Slighte

My family are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints except for my twin granddaughters who were born to my son and a member. Her mother, also a member of the church, is raising them as members. It was the twin's other grandmother who first connected me with Sister Missionaries who would teach me The Gospel. Where ever I have traveled, no matter what meetinghouse I have attended, I have found an element of home. I feel most at home in our temples though, where I feel the closest to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

If you are interested in more information about coming closer to Jesus Christ, I invite you to click and explore.