12 Reasons Why I Love Living On Campus

12 Reasons Why I Love Living On Campus

More than just the 20 minute naps we all need.

333
12 Reasons Why I Love Living On Campus
University of Cincinnati

Living on campus has been one of the best choices I could have made for myself. I am not just saying that as a Resident Advisor (RA) either. I was a regular resident before I took on the position, and I do not regret it one bit. Here are some of the best reasons I choose to live on campus as a resident.

1. I actually make it to classes

We're all here to graduate. However, living on campus makes it considerably easier to get to class. You don't have to worry so much about traffic or a parking spot unless you're coming to class from work. Your motivation dwindles, but so does the distance when you live on campus.

2. No commute to school

No driving to school means no worrying about car accidents, crappy weather on the roads, or finding a parking spot. You can still have a parking pass, but you don't have to worry about cleaning off your car and warming it up on those cold spring semester mornings.

3. Close to food

With dining halls and cafeterias close by, along with a plethora of off-campus eateries, there is plenty of food for those who live on campus to select from. Some of the options are questionable, but I don't think any of us want to eat ramen noodles for a week straight.

4. Easy access to friends

Your college best friend could be your next door neighbor. You never know who you are going to meet and it surely does not hurt to make a few friends along the way. Your friends, even if you do not see each other after graduation, will always be a part of your college memory box.

5. Weekend Fun

Sure, college students will probably go to a party at some point during their college careers. However, living on campus will get you access to other events happening on and off campus. In Cincinnati, downtown is a short bus trip or drive down the hill. Being in the city offers a lot to do with your free time. There's something for everyone to experience.

6. People watching

I think this says everything. People watching on campus can be a trip, especially on weekends. We're all guilty of doing this every once in a while.

7. Better grades

You're living on campus which means that you're close to academic resources and getting to classes, labs, recitations, etc. We're all here to get a college degree. Just do the best you can with the resources available from living on campus.

8. Campus life

Living on campus gives you access to sporting events, cultural programs, movies, and so much more. You never know what will happen on a day-to-day basis around campus until you see something that pops out. Being on campus gives you that sense of campus life that all students want at some point.

9. Independence

Sure, your diet may not be as glorious, but being on your own will give you that first taste of being independent. For some people, including myself, college and living on campus will be a much-needed fresh start. Take care of yourself and learn more about yourself.

10. Easy to get involved

There is much more to college than going to and from class and student organizations, intramural sports, and activities across campus give you just that. Being on campus gives you the ability to go on cool trips, weekend leadership retreats, and to get involved with anything you're passionate about.

11. Programming & Events

There is always some kind of free food on campus. With that said, there are also programs in the residence halls hosted by your wonderful RAs. We take a lot of time to put together ideas that will help you have fun, learn something new, and of course, nourish your souls. Getting free food is the best part of college.

12. Well-Rounded College Experience

You have the opportunity of a lifetime to get a college education. Make the most of your experience. Everyone has a different college story to tell. Living on campus has given me that ability to have a truly well-rounded college experience and I would not change it.

Even if you decide to just live on campus your freshman year, you will have many memories and stories to laugh about in the future. Life is too short and the college years become even shorter. Create a story you'll look back on fondly.