Why It's Okay If You Don't Know What You're Doing

What a couple of sentences at the right time taught me.

5

As I was scrolling through Pinterest earlier today, I came across a quote. "Remember how far you've come, not just how far you have yet to go. You are not where you want to be, but neither are where you used to be." Something about this quote really resonated with me and the fact that it sat on the top of the page I was scrolling,told me that I was meant to see it.

As my sophomore year of college comes to an end, I am facing a whirlwind of changes coming up in the next few months. I have to decide a major for certain, start thinking about internships, and thinking more seriously about what I want to be doing when I graduate from college. While wrapped up in these thoughts as well as some other major decisions, I haven't given myself the time to sit back a reflect on how far I have come in these past two years of school. I have fallen into the pattern of always focusing on whats next, how to make what I want to happen, happen and how to avoid what I don't want to happen from happening.

I have always been one to try and plan my life six months from now when in reality, my personality doesn't even let me know what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow. So basically I am good at planning for the long term but not good at taking into account what could happen in the short term. I set out into college with a five year plan of what I was going to study, where I would intern, the activities I would be a part of to get me there, and what job I would secure upon graduation. However, what I didn't take into account was that over these next four years, I would do a lot of growing up. Along with that growing up, comes growing apart with the goals and ideas I set for myself senior year.

When I chose what I would study, where I would go to school, and all that jazz, I was only 17 years old. Of course when you're a senior in high school you think you're all that and have your life together because you're the top of the school and have a few months left of childhood. However, what no one tells you is you actually have no idea what you're in for. You can try to plan as much as you want for the next four years but in all reality, maybe half of those things you plan will actually occur.

Recently I have been hung up on everything I haven't been achieving that I planned to by this point of college. It wasn't until I met with my voice coach from high school that I began to put things into perspective. I met her for coffee and for three hours we shared old memories but began to turn conversation towards college. I told her how I felt as though everything I have been doing so far has been a waste of time towards where I want to go. She said to me "you may feel frustrated now but it's all going to pay off. You will never regret having some extra education. You'll get through this, land on your feet and it will all be okay."

What seemed like just words in conversation over coffee, have really stuck with me. It will be okay. As frustrating as it is that it seems I have fallen off my path to where I want to go, I haven't completely derailed. I have kept good grades, gotten involved, and met some great people. Just because I've gotten a little lost doesn't mean I won't get where I have set out to go.

So if you're ever feeling frustrated that things aren't going just the way you have planned, take a second to reflect on how far you have come. Just as the quote suggests, you may not be where you wish you were but you are surely a lot closer on your way to getting there.