Why It's Okay To Take A Step Back

Why It's Okay To Take A Step Back

From the girl who said yes to almost everything.

463
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/28/636448234677037551-248589222_laptop.JPG

I don’t say yes because I can’t say no. I genuinely wanted to take on every responsibility that life threw at me. I wanted to be the doer because I knew I could do things right, but eventually, my mind couldn’t do it anymore, even if my heart wanted to. I was getting 5 hours of sleep on a good night and my mind was always buzzing. In the past week I had gone two nights with only 3 hours of sleep. I had a position in my own sorority, the treasurer in another organization, all while taking 18 credits and working. It was only a matter of time before I broke down… and break down I did.

In one night I dropped my nominations for 3 positions in my sorority and a leadership conference that I volunteered to attend. After that, I cried because I had one less thing to think about it and had felt so good. So a little advice for the person that likes to take on too much.

It’s okay to take on a lot for a little bit, but in the long run you’re going to miss doing the things that make you tick. You will run out of time with your family or your pets.

Say no to some things, even if you want to do them. This gives others a chance to step up and it allows you to keep doing the original things that you love doing.

If you don’t have time to take one night off to hang out with people you love, then you’re doing too much. This was a hard one for me, but homework dates should not always be a thing. Most of the time is fine, but if you have to avoid all fun to get your responsibilities done that might be a sign you need to cut back.

At first it might feel like you’re letting people down, but your future self will thank you!