Why It's Not Okay To Joke About Eating Disorders

Don't ever "wish" you had one.

513
Eating Disorders

Eating disorders have only recently gotten attention–in good and bad ways. Eating disorders are truly misjudged by many people. Some think that it's an excuse, some thing that it's just a plain lie, or they just don't believe in them.

There are many different eating disorders, the most well known ones being anorexia and bulimia (at least from what I've witnessed). I have done a lot of research on eating disorders and I understand completely where these people are coming from. I, myself have my own body image issues that I've been dealing with since middle school and I still am every single day.

But a lot of people don't understand that eating disorders are not a subject to joke about. Nothing about them is funny. Your mind is torturing you thinking you need to look a certain way to be accepted, but that's not the case at all.

I've heard ignorant remarks about eating disorders like: "I wish I had an eating disorder." or "That girl seriously looks anorexic!"

95% of people who have an eating disorder are between the ages of 12-28. That's an extremely young age to be thinking about what you look like and wanting to change it.

I'm not saying everyone with an eating disorder has the same mindset/situation, but a lot are similar. Eating disorders are NOTHING to joke about.

I recently saw this Halloween costume for "Anna Rexia."

This costume is pure trash. It's offensive and completely not okay.

EATING DISORDERS AREN'T COSTUMES.

You can't pretend to have one.

You don't want an eating disorder, period. No one volunteers to have an eating disorder. It's mentally tortuous and not only takes a toll on your body, but also your mind and your entire life.

I think people should educate themselves on eating disorders before going and speaking about them.

For anyone suffering from an eating disorder, I hope it gets better soon. I hope you recover and realize how truly beautiful you are.