5 Reasons It Is Hard To Be In College When You Suffer From Mental Illness

It may be hard, but college can be done.

13
pexels.com

There are a lot of things that mental illness can affect. Some that people often complain about are work performance, relationships, sex drive, family life, etc. One thing a lot of people don't realize is how much it affects college life. Here are the reasons it makes college so difficult.

1. Going to class can be nearly impossible

When you suffer from a mental illness, some days you can't out of bed. This is totally normal for people suffering from mental illness but less normal for college kids. College students are supposed to be superheroes that go to class on no sleep at all. Why can't I go when I have 10 hours of sleep? Sometimes it's just impossible.

2. Deadlines are terrifying

Okay, so maybe terrifying is a little over-exaggerative but deadlines are pretty scary. They cause major anxiety for someone without an anxiety disorder so they're much worse for people with one. Procrastination might not be a sign of laziness but actually a sign of anxiety. Someone may be too anxious to even start the project.

3. Making friends is also nearly impossible

So college is the time when you're supposed to be social, right? Not for some people. Putting yourself out there and making friends can be the hardest part about college. People are scary and can be judgmental and knowing that makes things 100 times worse.

4. Taking time off to focus on mental health can make people look down on you

If you take the time to go to the hospital or even miss a class for a doctor's appointment, people may look at you as weak. Especially if they don't know why you're gone. When you miss class, people could think you're lazy or that you don't care when it's really the opposite.

5. Public speaking

This one can be the scariest. You think everyone in the class is judging you and making fun of you in their heads. In reality, everyone is focusing on their own speech, but still. It's scary.

I'm not saying college isn't hard for everyone, because it is. However, it can be especially hard when you suffer from a mental illness. Anyone who you think is suffering should be treated how you would want them to treat you if you were suffering. It is tricky, but college can be done.