Why it’s completely okay to keep to yourself during your college years

Hitting the books all of the time, isn’t such a bad thing after all.

7

There is this typical story about college that everyone hears. Go to college, have the most fun you could ever have, make mistakes and learn from them. Sure, you can do all of those things without getting caught up in the drinking, drugs and peer pressure scene that no one likes to bring up. You will start college with plenty of friends, everything will be great and then all of a sudden when it is junior year, things start to change. You start to lose those friends that you thought were real ones and you find yourself sitting alone in the cafeteria more than you would like to admit. The feelings start rolling in and you don’t exactly know how to deal with them. All you ever hear about college is that you will make a ton of friends and some of them may even be lifelong friends and now, you have maybe one or two acquaintances. Well, when you start going through your college years, you start to grow up and grow out of the daily partying and skipping classes’ act that you used to put on your freshman year. You now have a new set of priorities on your mind and it is all focused on your career and your future. FANTASTIC! Don’t ever put yourself down because you are thinking about yourself and your career, when you are in your junior and senior year that is what SHOULD matter most. Now, I’m not saying “quit having fun and only have your head in the books.” What I’m saying is, have fun and go out but don’t make that your number one priority. Stay focused on your schoolwork, get a well-paying job or start an internship that has a high rate of hiring on interns; that would be a great way to start your first summer as a college graduate. All of the fun times that you feel like you missed out on during your last two years of school will be made up in the future trust me. Out of all of your friends, you will be the one that can travel to Spain every month and buy any car you could wish for because you set your priorities up early and you had success on your mind the whole time.

Go out and have fun but be sure to keep your future goals in the back of your mind at all times!

Sincerely,

A Senior in College