Why It's Acceptable for Adults to still Watch Cartoons

Yes, we need to feel nostalgia.

1294
Digital Descrution

Growing up, I was not only a fan of things like "Transformers", "Star Wars", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", "Teen Titans", "Batman: The Animated Series", "Batman Beyond", "Avatar: The Last Airbender" but most importantly "Scooby-Doo". I was obsessed with "Scooby-Doo" growing up as a kid, to a point where I forced my parents to keep a bloody pillow case with Scooby-Doo on it. Besides a VHS copy of "Shrek" a VHS tape with some episodes of "Scooby-Doo! Where are You?" was one that I almost wore out the most.

But over the summer, I recently found "Scooby-Doo! Where are You?" seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and proceded to watch a few episodes before going to my internship over the summer. As well as watching "Avatar: The Last Airbender", "Teen Titans", and "Batman: The Animated Series". To me, they still hold up to this date. Especially the last three. I am 20 years-old and still watching cartoons.

Now, I am not talking "Family Guy", "The Simpsons", "South Park", "Mike Tyson Mysteries", etc. When I am talking about cartoons, I am talking about the cartoons you would get your actions figures, a bowl of cereal, and stay in your pajamas in on Saturday mornings. And, as an adult, it should be acceptable to watch Saturday Morning Cartoons, as well as other shows. Because, this is another golden age of cartoons. Not only on TV, but the movies as well.

What do I mean by that? Last year, Pixar released probably it's best film since "Toy Story 3", "Inside Out". "Inside Out", while being a really good movie about friendship, it teachs kids that we need sadness and it's okay to cry once in a while. The main theme for a Pixar movie is teaching kids about depression. Ten years ago, this would not have been as popular, because a lot of people growing with "Finding Nemo" and "Toy Story" are now in there 20's and are dealing with depression.

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" teaches kids about Chinese culture and mythology. "Batman: The Animated Series" uses a lot of adult story lines for kids (i.e. the best incarnation of Two-Face) while still being bright and colorfull for kids.

The Nostalgia Critic did an editoral on why cartoons are better now that in the 80's and 90's, I encourage you to watch it, it will explain more of why cartoons now are better than ever. Because, he says it better than I could have. But that doesn't mean that the Hannah-Barbera and the cartoons from the 80's aren't infulential and good.

While being a simple mystery for kids, any incarnation of "Scooby-Doo" teaches kids how to use problem solving skills and being a good mystery for kids. The cheep animaton of the 60's may not be great compaired to cartoons today, but the stories and mysteries still hold up 50 years after the release.

Heck, "Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles" kept me in Tae Kwon Do for a long time as a kid, because I thought they were cool and started Tae Kwon Do around the time the 2003 animated series came. And also, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" came out around the same time.

So why do I still like to watch these shows years later, even though I am "too old to watch them". Well, they are good.

Even the simplest of cartoons, like "Scooby-Doo" has an impact on us. So let's act like kids and sit close to the TV and watch cartoons.