Why It Is OK to be an Overachiever

Why It Is OK to be an Overachiever

In college, it is worth it.

38
Why It Is OK to be an Overachiever
MSECND

When I got to college, I realized how big of a deal it was for me to even be in school still. Receiving a higher education at such an awesome school was beyond me. I really was not sure if I'd go to college just because, as everyone knows, college is insanely pricey. When I was granted financially (through scholarships) the chance to attend college, I promised myself I was not going to mess this up.

Freshman year, I realized how well I was able to do in school. Making the Dean's list was my goal for first semester and I achieved it. I knew by setting academic goals for myself, I'd be able to achieve them by staying focused.

Early into sophomore year, I have already joined so many academic groups. programs and clubs at school. I'm taking six classes this first semester. Outside of school, I work at numerous jobs to pay the remainder of my tuition bills. This at times makes my weeks fly by and my days feel a little bit extra stressful at times, but this is what makes college for me feel even more worth it. Because my hard work is what is making all these wonderful opportunities worth it. I join all these groups and work so hard because, without school, these opportunities wouldn't be possible. I grab at every chance I get here at school and it's what makes all this stress worth it.

If you're like me and you're starting to feel like you've piled a little bit too much on your plate, I'm here to remind you to keep going. It's OK to feel a bit overwhelmed and frantic, but don't panic, just keep going. As long as you keep putting the effort in, people take notice. Your hard work will be recognized and rewarded ten times over, whether it be now or down the road when you finally have a degree and a job.

It's important to stay focused but to also have fun with it. There are numerous ways to stay positive while achieving and working hard for all that you want. Make sure to take time out of your day to relax. Make friends in your major and your classes, you'll be able to go through all the struggles of college together. Also by joining clubs outside of classes, you'll be able to add more to your resume while also enjoying yourself.

Never forget how important college is, why you're here and never feel guilty for being an "overachiever."