Why Is American Horror Story Horrifyingly Addicting?

Be prepared. It’s coming. Even earlier this year (Sept. 14)

104
Viral Pirahna

Before we get too deep with one another — I have a confession to make. Scary movies aren’t really my thing. Don’t get me wrong…I love the thrill of them. The tension, the buildup (accompanied by the scary music, or creaking sound effects) is what I want to live for in scary movies. However, I usually find myself in the first thirty minutes clutching a blanket close to my eyes…or having my eyes completely closed.

Coming from a family that lived on watching horrifying television like Dateline, Scariest Places on Earth, or Ghost Adventures — I clearly didn’t fit the “horror mold.” I vividly remember being roped in by friends when I was younger to sit down and watch the X-Files with them. Yes, the X-Files — the 90’s show that tends to err on science fiction than horror. I did not see it that way, though. Despite my deeply concerted effort to avoid watching the show (crying, screaming, everything imaginable) my plan failed big time and I spent the day locked in utter fear while my friends gazed fondly at their show on television.

Fast forward thirteen or so years, and not much has changed regarding my liking towards horror — except one thing, American Horror Story. It was much to my surprise that the girl that once shuttered at the thought of the X-Files and Goosebumps now fell in love with (arguably) one of the scariest shows on television. It entranced me — I finally caught the “fright fever.” But why? How? After countless hours of research (aka. binge-watching every episode multiple times), I’ve narrowed it down to three clear things: the element of blood and gore horror movies do so well, the reality of the situations that happen in the show, and lastly, the exceptional cast they pull from every season.

Ah, what is a scary show/movie without a little blood? The rise of gore in television has populated the airwaves ever since "The Walking Dead" came onto the scene. But, The Walking Dead isn’t the only show to find sanctuary in the new found fandom. American Horror Story fuels their show around blood and gore. For example, in the first episode ever, "The Pilot," they open the show with bloody surgical tools, decapitated heads in jars, and unexpected fates for the young boy characters. If that isn’t gory enough for the horror fanatics out there, give it a couple more seasons when we are introduced to Kathy Bates and her character Madame Lalaurie who takes the category of blood and gore to an entirely new level. Even if you think that’s the worst, it only escalates from there.

That’s what American Horror Story does so well. They incorporate just enough controversial bloody scenarios that should make you turn your head away, but instead they actually leave you coming back for more. While watching any person easily develops a repulsive feeling at what is going on, thinking “how can this possibly be real?” But it is this exact feeling that is so out of the ordinary and plays with our innate senses that pushes fans to tune into the next episode just to witness what will happen next — creating a dangerously addicting cycle from viewer to viewer.

What makes a scary movie a good scary movie? Most people would answer with the reality of it. The more believable a scary movie is the more truly horrified we become. Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk play on the reality of terrifying situations exceptionally well, blurring the lines between if what they film for the show is scripted or based on a true event. They incorporate real life scenarios such as home invasion, school shootings, haunted houses, etc. that not only seem real to the viewer, they bring the familiarity of it closer to home. The more real, the more terrifying — ultimately leading to the more addicting. Which explains the 5.1 million viewers who returned to the series fifth season. Now with the sixth season approaching, there is no doubt that channeling the reality of horror in real life will keep those viewers coming back for more.

Would "Glee" be the same show without the infamous cast? Would "Grey’s Anatomy" be the same if Patrick Dempsey didn’t play Derek Shepherd? No. The cast in any long-running television show is what makes or breaks the longevity of the show — and no other show has the cast credentials like "American Horror Story." The first season cast containing well-known names such as Connie Britton, Denis O’ Hare, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Frances Conroy, Dylan McDermott, and lastly Jessica Lange hold quite the acting credentials creating a force to be reckoned with in the Emmy world. With this initial star-studded cast, it has only gained popularity from 2011, drawing on popular names like Kathy Bates, Angela Basset, Emma Roberts, Adam Levine, Jenna-Dewan Tatum, Zachary Quinto, Finn Wittrock, Matt Bomer, and Lady Gaga to appeal to the mass audience of 18-49-year-old demographic "American Horror Story" draws in. And so far, the cast that "American Horror Story" draws from hasn’t failed to deliver. Raking in 253 nominations and 92 wins, there is no question that combining horror, realistic scenarios, a strong, deep cast "American Horror Story" has solidified their spot as one of the best (if not the best) horror series on television.

With that in mind, open that laptop, turn on that television, and watch Seasons 1-4 on Netflix for a taste of what this show has to offer before the new season starts…trust me, the show is to “die” for.