Why Introverts Can Change The World

Why Introverts Can Change The World

Why the Quietest Voices Have the Loudest Minds

67
Why Introverts Can Change The World
myfirstapartment.com

Not to go into the "there are two types of people in this world" spiel, but there are--introverts and extroverts. The bias towards extroversion is only growing; We value the person who attracts the most attention to them self and can talk the loudest over the quieter person who has the most substance to their words.The biggest mistake we are making is favoring the man of action over the man of contemplation. We live in a world geared towards extroversion. So much so that even the most important institutions, such as schools and workplaces, have come to embody extroversion in practice.

To see the bias clearly, you must understand extroverts; They crave large amounts of attention and like having all eyes on them. Introverts crave quieter environments where they can be alone with their thoughts. But this has birthed a tragically malformed belief system: groupthink. The typical classroom once had rows of desks and education was a largely interpersonal affair. While communication skills are crucial and teamwork is essential, we have strayed from these ideals and made education a matter of reliance on our peers. Most classrooms now have pods of desks. In some cases, students aren't individuals. They are expected to act as committee members at all times. The distortion of group dynamics minimize the authentic thought being produced. Teachers believe the ideal students are extroverts. The same is true in workplaces, as many introverts are often overlooked for leadership positions. But quite frankly, introverted leaders often deliver better results and their moral rectitude creates a far more productive environment. Introverts let employees take their own ideas and run with them. Extroverts put their own stamp on each idea.

Another facet of introversion: the ability to listen. Rather than formulating opinions through speaking, introverts formulate their own unique perspectives based upon listening. My dad used to tell me "Sometimes it's the ones that talk the most that know the least." Growing up, I can contest to this, as I have observed this to be entirely true. My dad's saying also happens to remind me of Donald Trump, but that's beside the point. Not to say every outspoken person is to automatically be deemed ineffective. But think about it, the voice of one is sometimes overpowering the voices of many. Many famous historical figures, like Ghandi, Rosa Parks, and Eleanor Roosevelt, have all said that they consider themselves to be introverted. Introversion adds a level of genuinely to one's actions, for it is not the pleasure of being looked at that prompts one to commit an act, but rather they are driven to do what is right. The biggest fallacy we are committing is becoming a society of "people who need people". Time alone is one of the most overlooked necessities. Introverts have "internal power" as they are the ones who fully digest and internalize the words of others, birth fully-formulated ideas, and reflect on the big picture. Introverts have the tendency to appear passive or noncontributing; that is, until he or she works out the most articulated solution.

Charles Darwin would take long walks alone in the woods and repeatedly turned down party invitations. Dr. Suess thought up his stories in a private bell tower in the back of his house. Steve Wozniak invented the first Apple computer alone at his cubicle at Hewlett-Packard. Self-reliance is not overrated; It's a virtue.

The persona of an introvert is met with humility. They are intrinsically motivated and seek knowledge, and rather than the flashy and dramatized small talk that defines social gatherings, they cut straight to the point. Yet, this can also be used as a point of advantage. Introverts possess the ability to leverage their influence. If someone doesn't ever step away from the limelight, their words naturally lose value. But, a shy, quiet person who never says a peep? When they contribute, the whole room pays attention and their words gain momentum and they "own" the moment.

At this rate, it's an extrovert's world and we are all just living in it. Extroversion is a largely appealing personality, but this has transcended into an oppressive standard. This same standard is detrimental and causing us to overlook the boy who always sits in the corner and reads or the girl who doesn't like to be the face of attention. While I am a proponent of communication and teamwork, I am not a proponent of one person standing in the sun and leaving the shadows for the others. It's not the quantity of the words you speak, it's the quality. Substance to spoken words are far more impactful then the one who takes all of the spotlight for themselves. This is why introverts have the ability to change the world.