Why I'm Thankful San Mateo Is Home

Why I'm Thankful San Mateo Is Home

There's no place like home.

116
Why I'm Thankful San Mateo Is Home
Wikipedia

For those who may not know, San Mateo is a city in the Bay Area. It is exactly 489 miles away from San Diego State University. I definitely get waves of homesickness being so far away, which is why I appreciate holidays and breaks because that means I get to come home. San Mateo will always hold a special place in my heart, so here are eight reasons why I am so thankful to call this place home.

1. The weather.

San Mateo’s weather can be described as the typical northern California climate. It is a nice change from San Diego’s sunny, southern California weather, especially during the winter time because it actually feels like winter!

2. Quality education.

I am extremely grateful to have been able to grow up going to school within the San Mateo Union High School District. It has been three years since I graduated Hillsdale High School, yet I still go back and visit the wonderful teachers that I had because they truly made an impact on my life.

3. Easy transportation.

San Mateo is considered the halfway point between San Francisco and San Jose, making it only a 25-minute drive in either direction. Nonetheless, it is a very convenient location to live in, given that you have three highways to choose from: Interstate 280, Route 101 and State Route 92. We also can’t forget the amazing public transportation services we have such as CalTrain.

4. Innovation.

Bubble tea drinks were the craze when I was in high school, and my friends and I would grab these drinks while we hung out. This specific bubble tea place called Tpumps originated in San Mateo. It is quite popular now and is known for their custom drink orders and perfectly chewy honey boba. Tpumps has expanded all the way to southern California now.

5. Cityscape.

The Hillsdale Mall is conveniently located down the street from Hillsdale High School, making it the go-to hangout spot after school. Downtown San Mateo is another popular spot that offers an array of food options and even the Century 12 movie theater, suitable for both the elderly and youth. There are so many memories I can recount that I share with my loved ones in these two locations.

6. The views.

When I needed to clear and head and think by myself, I would also result to visiting the many views of the city San Mateo has to offer. One I particularly enjoyed going to was the "Top of the World" in the town Hillsborough, Calif. Whenever a friend would come and visit, I would take them to this location because the view is absolutely breathtaking.

7. Parks and recreation.

San Mateo has more than 15 parks in the county. I personally grew up right next to Beresford Park that includes a skatepark and multiple picnic areas where there were always birthday parties or family reunions. Also, Bay Meadows used to be a horse racing track but it was torn down in 2008. It is now redeveloped with residential units.

8. Diversity

San Mateo is diverse in every single aspect. This city has a diverse mix of people and I am especially thankful to have grown up in a city that embraces each other's differences. I largely attribute the way that I am today to growing up in San Mateo, in the best way possible!