Why I'm Thankful My Mom Wasn't My Best Friend

Thank you for being a parent first.

27
Lexie Klingler

When I think of the people whom I am closest with, the first person that pops in my head is my mother. She has been my biggest fan, number one supporter and role model ever since I was born. She was there to watch every tennis match, drive me all around the country, bake my birthday cakes, and push me to be my best self. While my mom has been termed all of these extraordinary things, there is one thing she has not been termed, my best friend.

All throughout high school and junior high I would hear kids talk about how their mom was their best friend. Sooner or later, it began to catch on and I started to call my mom that, but there was just one thing, she wouldn't accept the term best friend. My mother's job was not to support and laugh at my every mistake. My mother's job was to be a parent and that's exactly what she was.

By no means am I saying that my mom and I are not close because we are practically the same person. I see myself growing into the person that she is everyday. She is the person that I aspire to be like. I aspire to be the strong, independent woman that she is.

I grew up with strict curfews and even stricter GPA requirements. I was not allowed to have boys in my room nor was I allowed to have sleepovers with my friends on school nights. If I went somewhere, my mom knew where and when at all times.

At the time, I was never reluctant to roll my eyes and have a sassy attitude. My friends had less strict parents, they were allowed to have sleepovers on weeknights, and boys were allowed in their rooms. Of course there were times when I wished my mom would have been less strict, but I didn't realize how thankful I should have been for the strict rules until now.

With set rules and requirements, it allowed me to be open and honest with my mom. I never had to go behind her back or lie to sneak around. I gained her trust. I turned into a responsible kid without even recognizing it.

Thank you for taking away my cell phone at night. Thank you for grounding me for having an attitude. Thank you for grounding me when I was two minutes late past curfew. Thank you for not allowing boys into my room. Thank you for being protective. Thank you for being overbearing, even though it was annoying at times.

Although there were times when I wanted to bash out and rebel, your parental guidance allowed me to go down the correct paths and that's something I will never be able to repay you for.

I never understood the harsh rules back then, but now that I'm a senior in college, I understand more than ever. I was able to become an independent and mature woman at a younger age than most. You guided me into adulthood and for that, I am forever thankful.

So no, you weren't my best friend, but you were the best parent. You are still the first person I go to for advice and you are still the first person I want to tell good new or bad news to. You are still my biggest fan, my number one supporter, and the person who pushes me the most. And even at 21 you are still my parent first and my friend second. Your love is unconditional and your arms are always open.

Thank you, mom.