Why I'm Terrified To Bring My Kids Into This World

The fears of a not soon future parent.

23
Google Images

For those of you who know me, don't worry, I'm not having any kids anytime soon.

I love kids, I really do. They say the funniest things and they keep it real with you. When I worked at a pool as a lifeguard, I would hear some of the craziest things come from the mouths of a nine-year-old. Sometimes, I would laugh. Other times, I'd sit them in the corner, and walk away laughing at what they said.

Looking back at myself as a kid, I think about how lucky I was to have Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, pizza rolls, my Nerf basketball hoop, and a nice cozy home. I never knew there was bad in the world.

Growing up changed so many of my views. It's no longer about saving up money for a pair of shoes; it's about saving money for college loans and retirement. Staying up until 4 a.m. isn't because I'm watching cartoons, it's because I'm finishing a paper. Summer is no longer three months off, it's summer courses and a job.

I remember a conversation I had with my high school football coach. I respect him more than anyone in this world, and the world needs more of him. I remember him saying something like, "I love my kids more than anything, but sometimes I hate that we are raising them in this world. It's just a really rough time to raise kids that you love so much because there is so much evil and you can't always protect them from it."

Gulp.

That has always stuck with me, and I believe it's been two years since he said that. It was really something I never thought about. One day, I will bring kids into a world full of hate, violence, and not enough good.

I was raised right. Kudos to my parents. I didn't always like them, but I see why it had to be done. I needed discipline, not another piece of pie. I had to be taught right from wrong and that I didn't need to be given everything.

I remember when I was playing football in the sixth grade. I was a pretty good linebacker, but offensively they put me on the offensive line. I hated it because I wanted the ball. Every kid did.

So I cried to my mom. Literally. I cried. What a baby. I wanted her to talk to the coach to play me at tight end because sometimes they caught the ball. Don't worry, my dad set me straight. He put it to me the right way. "Jas, you're going to play the position the coach feels is best for the team, or you won't play at all. There won't be anymore crying about it. You're lucky to be playing because some kids don't get that opportunity."

Thank you, Dad.

Now, I see parents complaining about their kids' playing time and the position they believe they should be playing. I guess not everyone had my dad, right?

It's no longer about the best player playing, it's about how can we keep the parents and players all happy.

I will take my parents' lesson and make sure my kids know the same when they are growing up. My fear is that maybe they will be the better player one day, but they won't play it because the other kid's parents complained enough.

What about all the violence? It's horrible. The amount of shootings is out of hand. Where is it safe anymore? How can I honestly look my future kid in the eye and promise him/her there won't be a shooting at the school that day? That's a terrible thought to have, but it's a legitimate fear I have.

I'm not one to really speak about politics, but as far as I know, it has become which candidate is just a little less sucky. I hear all about how bad each one is and how corrupt they are. I feel like it's really just a double-edged sword.

When are we going to get a candidate that isn't corrupt and does exactly what we need our leader to do? Maybe one of these candidates will surprise me.

When my child talks to me about politics, will I ever have anything good to say in that time in the future? Will I be able to say something other than, "Well, I'm only voting for [enter name] because he/she didn't [enter whatever]."

I won't be able to protect my kids from everything. I don't want to. I know they will have to grow up, and some of that just comes from them learning the hard way. But there are some things I will want to protect them from in this world that I can't.

There is so much hate for those that are different. We weren't made to all be the same. We are unique. Artistic in our own way. Funny to those who understand our humor. Someone out there loves you for the person you are. But, there are some that hate you for that same reason.

I don't want anyone to hate my kids. I can't control that, though. I also don't want my children growing up in fear to be who they really are.

My fear is for my kids. Not me. I'll always be fine with people hating me for who I am. Heck, I know I'll take a bullet for my future kids and wife. But how many bullets will I be able to take before I fall?

My hope is that those who will become parents one day will become the parents that the child needs. Be a parent that this world needs. Always teach them right from wrong, even when it's hard on you.

No, we won't be able to protect them from everything, that's just life. But the essence of parenting is to be the person that will always be there for them when needed, help them along the way, and watch them grow. Allow them to grow and love them every second.

It's a scary world we live in, unfortunately. With so much dang evil, how will we ever feel safe? We pray to the Man upstairs, ask for protection, and love like crazy. Love your kids, love your parents, love your husband/wife, love your friends like crazy.

Find ways to spread more good in this world. We see so much evil on the news, why don't we see more good? I know people do good acts every day. Share it more. Be the good. Share the good.

To my future kids, we got a tough road ahead of us, but you know what, we are going to have fun. I will teach you right from wrong. I will teach you to never hate someone for being different. I don't care if the other kid sitting next to you is white, black, brown, blue, or clear, you will treat them with respect. I will teach you that you will earn everything, nothing is just handed to you. I will get on to you when you do bad. But you know what, even when we fix all of that, I'm going to love you like crazy. I will do anything in this world for you.

Well, except allow you to turn into a racist, sexist, violent free-loader. That, we won't have.