Why I’m Over the Club and Bar Scene

Why I’m Over the Club and Bar Scene

The Party Life Isn't the Same Anymore

2585
Why I’m Over the Club and Bar Scene
Google

At the start of my freshman year of college, I appreciated and admired how all social events seemed new to me-- new people, new environments, new parties, new times. However, as a senior in college who is about to graduate, I must admit that the party scene has gotten real old, real fast. Here are some of the reasons why:

1. You Blow Your Money

No matter where you go, whether it be a club, bar, or somewhere else, you always end up spending a lot of money. At least 50% of the time, there is a cover charge to get inside a bar or a club. Some prices are so ridiculous that you end up spending anywhere from $5-$15 just to get inside the building.

If you enjoy drinks or food, be prepared to spend your money on that, too. Nothing comes cheap or free at bars and clubs. And if you ever go inside of a liquor store, you’ll notice that you can buy a lot more liquor than if you were to buy a single drink inside of a bar or a club. Some of the drinks and foods are pretty pricey, too.

If you think about it, the $10 fee to get in, plus two $15 drinks, plus a few $5 shots, plus an $8 slice of pizza-- it really starts adding up. You may run out of money before the night begins. And the more you go out, the more you will complain about how “broke you are” all the time. Think of all the things you can buy with the money you spend in one night. Unless if you’re loaded, then props to you.

2. Everyone Seems Superficial

Is it me or everytime you go out, you always notice how superficial a lot of people are. A lot of girls are dressed in tight, Victoria Secret clothes and the guys are dressed in plaid shirts, pants, boat shoes, and an occasional backwards hat. You begin to wonder if you’re at the bar or at the strip club. It’s hard to tell.

It’s hard to find anyone at a bar or club who you can have a decent conversation with. Most of them, or maybe this is just from my observations, are only concerned about themselves, hooking up, and getting drunk. I know not everyone is like that-- and that some people just dress to fit in with the scene-- but that’s just me.

3. It’s Hard to Hold a Conversation

No matter what bar or club you go to, the majority of them will always be very loud-- loud music, loud bass, loud conversations-- just loud, in general. Thus, due to all of the noise consumption, it is hard to hear what anyone is saying: Voices drown-out, your ears start pounding-- it’s just hard to talk or have a decent conversation with anyone; and the “drunk-ness” drowns everything else out, I guess. When you wake, you may wake with an absurd ringing noise in your ears and a hangover or two.

4. You Feel Like Prey

If you’re a lady and go out, you may start to feel like prey. Sometimes, it’s hard being a girl-- especially if you crave consistent independence and freedom. You want to be able to do things by yourself without others having to join you all the time. Going to a bar or club with your lady friends, it’s hard, especially when you don’t want guys hitting on you and trying to take you home all night.

No, we don’t want to get with you; we don’t want to talk to you; and yes, a free drink is nice, but after that, please go away. You just want a good night out with your friends and random men think they can get women because they’re like “objects” and “possessions.” It shouldn’t have to be like that.

If I want to meet someone to go on a date with him, I would not want to meet someone at a bar. It just doesn't seem like the ideal place to do it. The majority of bar guys want one thing, and that's not love. Meeting anyone anywhere other than the bar would be ideal for me... Just not at the bar.

5. All People Want to Do is Get Drunk

I find it annoying how the majority of the people who go to bars and clubs on the weekend have one prime goal: To get wasted and drunk. I never saw the fun in losing self-control and consciousness. A few drinks here and there aren’t bad, but to lose complete control? That’s just “out of my mind,” if you ask me.

Nothing good results from having too much to drink. You end up blacking out; having horrible hangovers; not remembering most of what happened during the night; and making bad decisions-- some decisions that lead to regrets that will stay with you for the rest of your life. In my opinion, it’s a waste of money, waste of health and is not worth it.

6. You Outgrew Your Younger Self

18 year old me is different than 21 year old me. At 18, I loved going out to clubs with friends and having makeout sessions with random guys. I used to do it all the time and the energy was thrilling to me. Now, at 21, going out is not the same anymore. Even at bars, it’s pretty much the same thing as a club except there’s drinking and older people.

On any night, I’d rather go spend a night at Starbucks having meaningful, deep conversations with random strangers. I’d rather go spend a day hiking or working out with friends. I’d rather sleep-in and enjoy my beauty sleep rather than going to a bar or club. Some things, you just outgrow in time.

I know I'm 21 and am expected to live it up at bars every weekend. But in all honesty, it feels like I surpassed that stage a long time ago. That stage ended when my youthful days ended. I don't have to and am never required to keep up with what everyone else is doing. I do what I want to do. Now, I'd rather spend time in solitude or with quality friends.

7. You Realize It’s Not For You Anymore

After partying for a couple of years and then taking a break from the party scene, you realize that it’s no longer what you expected it to be. A few years ago, it was fresh, new exhilarating, exciting, and fun. And now, as an older adult, you realize that good quality activities and times spent with loved ones is much rather preferred and adored than going out at a place with superficial drunk people and loud music.

Partying from time-to-time is okay. It’s for some people, not for everyone. I guess everything is good and fresh once in a blue moon. But once you’re ready to retire a certain stage of your life, it’s healthy and necessary to do so. It’ll make you one step closer to finding yourself and discovering who you truly are and meant to be on this Earth.