Why I'm Not A Fan Of Ed Sheeran's New Song

Short version: because it sucks

1564
THR

"Shape of You" is taking over and I couldn't be less excited about it. While the beat is catchy, the lyrics are some of the worst that Ed Sheeran has ever attached his name to.

The song begins with the lines "The club isn't the best place to find a lover / So the bar is where I go." And initially you're like okay Ed I see you. You want to meet a girl. But then you realize he said "lover" which implies he wants to meet just a one night stand which is kinda shitty. But it's Ed Sheeran. Of course he doesn't mean that.

And then the song progresses. Some girl comes up to him and starts talking to which he sings "Girl, you know I want your love / Your love was handmade for somebody like me." Which sounds so nice. He wants love. How sweet.

But then he says "Say, boy, let's not talk too much / Grab on my waist and put that body on me / Come on now, follow my lead" and you're like hmm Ed, seems like you want her vagina, not her love.

And then we get to the chorus and I just want to bang my head against the wall. The cringe worthy lyrics are: "I'm in love with the shape of you / We push and pull like a magnet do." Obviously about sex. And you think oh Ed I thought you wanted to find love, not just sex, which is why you went to a bar?

The chorus progresses to: "I'm in love with your body / And last night you were in my room / And now my bedsheets smell like you." And now we get to the real meaning of the song: I want to get lucky with a hot girl. Bravo Ed. Bravo.

And lucky us we get to hear over and over "I'm in love with your body." Ed, that is so nice. I'm so glad you're objectifying me. You're such a sweet guy.

The worst part of this song is it says it's okay for girls to go home with a guy they meet at a bar. And while I'm all for girls exploring their sexuality, it is never safe to leave with a guy who you just met. And it's never okay for friends to let their female friends go home with a strange guy. And writing a song that says this is okay is promoting rape culture. It's dangerous for a woman to go home with a stranger she meets at a bar. And if she's intoxicated, she can't consent to sex. Period.

Ed, stick to what you're good at. Writing cute romantic songs. Not douchey, trashy songs about sex.