Why I’m Looking Forward to Being on My Own

Freedom is Calling

112
Google

For one week, I took off to Northern New England by myself. I just felt as though I needed some time away from everyone and everything for a while to figure some things, and myself, out. It was the most refreshing trip I’ve ever had in my life and I can tell you why: Traveling alone allows you to find yourself and be on your own.

Ever since I graduated college, living back home with my parents has somewhat been hard on me. I can no longer go wherever I want or do whatever I want without my parents interfering my plans with the following questions: “Where are you going/ What are you doing?” Those questions got real old, real fast. I shouldn’t have to report what I always do with my life.

Living on my own meant that I could buy whatever I want-- food, new clothes, etc. It was a great feeling to go shopping on my own and buying anything that was beneficial for me. As long as I needed the items, versus wanting the items, I proved the buying to be beneficial and important for me.

At any time of the day, I could venture off and go wherever I’d like. If I wanted to hop across the state’s border, I could. If I wanted to explore a new town a few cities away, I could. If I wanted to visit a friend that I have not seen in over a year, I could. The point of the matter is the “take off and go” lifestyle is just right for me. It’s freedom-filling and liberating.

When I’ll live on my own, I’ll be given the freedom to make the choices I want to make, not the choices people will make for me… and I think that’s the most liberating part of it all. I can choose my own place to live; my own furniture; my own food; how I would like to decorate my own place; and the list goes on and on.

Once I get used to living on my own, which I’m confident I will be able to adapt to the living situation quickly, I will have to start planning ahead-- for an abundance of vacation time and to be sure I start saving money for retirement. Let’s face it: No one wants to be working for the rest of his or her life. Always be sure to save up for what matters most.

Looking ahead, I do realize I am going to have a lot of debt to pay, as well as bills and money that I will allot to personal expenses. However, no matter what I will have to pay in the future, I am willing to sacrifice anything in order for me to sustain my personal independence and freedom, now and for the future.

I am more than thrilled that before I know it, I will be completely on my own-- living on my own and doing everything on my own. My soul craves freedom and I cannot wait to see all the struggles and joys that will pay off from living on my own, very soon.