I'm Joining A Sorority Because Of The Values They Hold, Not Just For The Letters And Parties

I can't wait to proudly wear the letters of my future sisterhood!

55
UNCO Panhellenic

I remember the day I first expressed interest in sorority life to my family, and they were in shock. I have never been perceived as the type of girl to do anything extremely social, let alone join a sorority. The thing is, I've changed into a different person that they don't really see often. I'm a lot more outgoing and extroverted than I used to be. I remember earlier that day before I expressed my interest, I spent hours researching the five sororities at my university and understanding what sororities are all about and what they do. All of my life, I just had the stereotype of sororities in my head, you know the ones that say sororities are stuck up, dumb, and crazy girls that just like to party, but that day I found out that those stereotypes are misconceptions of what sororities actually are.

I'm joining a sorority because I like the idea of a sisterhood. At my high school we had the concept of a sisterhood since we were a girls division, but I never grasped what that actually was and felt like until I was in my second semester of senior year. Once I felt it, I realized that it was an indescribable bond and I didn't want to leave. I wanted to have a sisterhood I could turn to moving forward. Sororities are exactly that, a sisterhood. Being able to find a new sisterhood is something that I feel I need in order to grow and be my best self.

I've done volunteer work since I was thirteen years old, and it was out of complete self interest. I didn't have any requirements placed on me, I just wanted to help people. Each sorority has its own philanthropy that they're dedicated to. Being apart of something like a sorority will help me continue to do things for others while being surrounded by people who are also passionate about doing so. Sororities give back to the community and others in vast ways and they raise so much money for their specific philanthropies. Being apart of something greater like that is something that also helped me decide to rush.

Sororities, as said before, are perceived as dumb but in reality they hold their sisters to high standards when it comes to academics. As a result, sororities have some of the highest GPA’s on campus. Academics are extremely important to me and being able to have people there helping me and pushing me to do my best is something that will help me in my future endeavors. Being apart of a sorority also means there's a minimum GPA that has to be maintained, which will also help me stay on top of school work.

In high school, I wasn't really involved in anything like a club or sport, so a sorority is a good way to actually get involved. It is a large (and expensive) commitment, but it'll be worth it because of all the good that comes out of it.

Ultimately, being able to have people to turn to in the good and bad times is what I want in life, and I know that if I join a sorority I will not only have friends, but sisters for life. I will always be apart of something, apart of a family. Sororities aren't what most people think they are, it's a community that cares about each other. I cannot wait to see where recruitment takes me and which letters I'll get to proudly wear for the rest of my life!