Why I'm Glad I'll be Home for Spring Break

It'll be a great opportunity to nap

19

As spring break looms ahead I hear the exited chatter of swim suits and pending tan lines in Cancun and Miami. Part of me wishes I’d splurged in the same way. Thrown my week into an exciting adventure of warm weather with good friends, but another part of me is reminded that staying home is the better alternative. Although I know spring break will be a filled of great adventurous memories in my future years, for this spring break, I’m happy I decided to be home.

I won’t lie, my wanderlust and hatred of the cold made going away severely enticing, but staying home has its own benefits. First, I’ll get to see my family and sleep in my own comfortable bed. I’ll get to nap on the oversized couch in my living room with my dog napping beside me and I’ll get to binge Netflix or watch a movie as I watch the rise and fall of her stomach. I’ll get to sleep in and eat homemade pancakes and waffles for breakfast. I’ll get to see my brother for the first time since winter break.

On top of that, I’ll get to see my friends. Not all of them will be home but with the ones that will, I’ll go to the movies and get lunch at Moe’s. I’ll be able to leave all my notebooks, folders and textbooks at home for a week and forget what the inside of a library looks like. It’ll be a week without constant studying, stressing out, lack of sleep and fewer hangovers than there might have been otherwise. To be honest, I need to break. And I’m sure going away would have provided that but spring break isn’t known for napping through the day and lounging around the house in sweat pants.

I’m happy I’ll be home because I can have a homemade steak, talk a walk in the spring weather (hopefully) and see my sisters get confirmed. I’ll be able to drive my car anywhere, which I miss dearly and go to yoga class in the center of town. I’ll be able to treat my hometown like I used to for ten days instead of missing it for another week. As much as I love being at college sometimes a break is necessary and the only real place to take a break is at home.