Why I'm Glad Didn't I Date In High School

Being single made me love and appreciate myself.

208
Unsplash

Back in high school, I remember seeing girls my age holding hands, getting walked to their classes, and getting kissed on the check by their boyfriends. I can also remember being upset that I was not one those girls and wishing that a guy would finally notice me and ask me out. Being single in high school wasn’t easy by any means because I thought I was missing a new adventure and I wanted to meet my prince charming right away. Now as an adult I can honestly say I am glad that I was single because it made me who I am today. Now I know that sounds a little strange to admit, but hear me out because there are a lot of reasons that I’m thankful for this time in my life, but this article can only be so long. Here are five reasons that make me happy to have been single.

1. Being single made me love and appreciate myself

I became more mature I think that I can speak for several people when I say loving yourself and having confidence in yourself is hard. As a kid, I would look in the mirror and try to find the reason that I didn’t have a boyfriend. Even though I couldn’t find anything wrong I was still convinced that there had to be a reason. I thought that if I could just find and change that one flaw about me then it would finally be my turn for a boyfriend. Thankfully I decided that I there was nothing wrong with me and that it just wasn’t my time yet. I was finally able to look in the mirror and see myself for who I was. I was able to love myself and hold my head up high. I didn’t need anyone who didn’t need me and that was that.

2. I became more mature

Now most teenagers aren’t matured because of the hormones and what not. I, of course, was no exception, but I would like to think that I became a lot more mature because I was single. As a single lady, I grew on my own and truly found myself. Instead of focusing on how to love someone else I was able to focus on me. I learned to love and appreciate all the flaws that I had. As a teenager, I learned how to have the embarrassing talks, the emotional talks, and whatever other kinds of talks there are. I think a lot of girls at that age are afraid to talk to their boyfriends about how they feel or what they want. I didn't want to be like other girls and I pushed past that fear.

3. I worked on my friendships

Because I wasn’t dating someone, I was able to focus on my friendships. I have learned a lot of things from my friendships and because of these lessons I learned, I will be a lot more prepared when I do start dating. In all relationships, you must be ready, to be honest, empathetic, and loyal. I learned these three lessons from my friends and all the situations that we went through together.

4. My independence developed

I never wanted to become someone who had to depend on a man or a significant other to do things for me. I have always been taught that you must depend on yourself if you want something done. I can pay for things on my own, I can put away my own groceries or unpack my car all by myself. I’m glad that I was single because I learned to not depend on someone else for compliments, for love, or for anything. I know that I can do anything with or without a man and to me, that is the most important lesson to learn.

5. I know what I want

Let’s just say that being single did not make me desperate and it made me have high standards. I never wanted to like someone because they called me pretty. I wanted guys to understand that I can complement myself all day long and that if they wanted to have a relationship with me then they needed to step up their game. My heart is my heart and if you want it then you will have to fight for it.

Now this article isn’t to bash girls who dated in high school, I promise. As an adult I can honestly say that I am glad I was single and I want anyone reading this to know that it's okay to be single. You are not a loser or ugly because your person has not come yet, I promise. Take this time to find and love yourself because before you know it prince charming will be knocking at your door.