My Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Be an SOS

My Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Be An SOS

You can do anything that you set your mind to, don't let anybody make you think otherwise.

52
Elise Williams

The picture above portrays myself a year ago from when I had my own orientation for UNC Greensboro, and I wanted to write this article because I am so proud of myself for making a dream become a reality. When I was at my orientation and saw the SOS I was like I want to be them! The staff just seemed genuinely nice and it felt like they really did love the university. They were so helpful and attentive, and no matter what happened stayed positive, engaged, and respectful.

My SOS was named Miranda, and she is also a Sustainable Hospitality and Tourism Major and became my mentor ever sense I was at my orientation. I wanted to be an SOS because of her, and I am so I glad that I am able to continue her legacy and that I was given this wonderful opportunity to change lives and be an ambassador of the university I love so much. I bleed blue and gold, and I hope that I can leave my own legacy here with a student from one of my small groups becoming a part of the SOS staff of 2019-20.

Whether you are a student at UNCG or attend another college or University, I think that it is a great opportunity to be apart of your schools orientation staff, and I hope my article helps persuade you to join! :)

1. You get to be an ambassador of your university

Me wearing My Official SOS Pin received personally from the Chancellor

Elise Williams

You represent not only yourself and your staff but the university, and students and families can base the university off of your interactions with them.

You get to make that first impression and connection with incoming students

My first small group

Elise Williams

You are the first college student they get to meet at their new university and get to make that first connection with students as well as connect like minded students with each other.

You get to meet some of the most influential and important people at your university

Me and the staff after our annual breakfast with the Chancellor

Elise Williams

You get to hear from representatives of every department of the University as well as meet the chancellor and department heads.

You get to learn all about the resources and opportunities your campus has to offer

My official SOS photo

Elise Williams

You get the inside scoop on all the opportunities and resources your campus has available for you, and get to ask the questions you want answered from the people who know the answers as well as be a voice for other students at the university

You get to meet and network with other orientation leaders from across the region of the area that you live in

Me and My friend Bree from FAM U who I made at SROW

Elise Williams

You get to go to the Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW), and interact and learn from other Orientation Leaders from colleges and universities all over the Southeast.

You get to have free housing over the summer as well free meals and school parfenalia

You get to stay on campus over the summer and get free meals and goodies from different sponsors of SOAR as well as from different departments of the university.

Once you are an SOS you are more likely to get other jobs on campus and be put in a priority candidate category

Me and some of my favorite staff members

Left to Right: Arianna Matthewson, Jackie Sandoval, Emma Brock, Elise Williams

Elise Williams

Being an SOS is such a renowned position on campus that it really sets you up for any other job opportunity or internship on campus, and you are more likely to get the next job that you want.

You get to be apart of a group of like minded individuals and get another sense of community within your university

Some staff members and I taking a trip to Baskin Robbins

Elise Williams

SOS leaders are very inclusive and diverse and we all are here because we love our school and want to make a difference on the lives of incoming students and families to the university by being real and sharing our own experiences.

You get to be a mentor to students throughout their college experience, and make a positive difference in someone else's life

Me and my first student I interacted with in my first first year small group, Miguel, stopping to take a picture with Spiro, UNC Greensboro's Mascot.

Elise Williams

You get to be the person that a student looks up to for their entire college experience, a friend if they need one, and a kind face for every student to feel included and engaged with the university life and community.

You get paid! :)

The SOS staff of 2018-19

Elise Williams

Getting paid for this job is a bonus to all of the things listed above, because yes we get paid, but me and my staff are here not because of the money, but because we want to make a positive impact on incoming students and families to the university. People always say I don't know how you all can be so energetic and happy all the time, and I always say that it is because we love what we do and are here for the students and families not for ourselves and a paycheck.