5 Reasons Why I Wish I Took a Gap Year
Education

5 Reasons Why I Wish I Took a Gap Year

Because when else in your life can you drop everything for a year to travel the world?

269
5 Reasons Why I Wish I Took a Gap Year

The second I had my diploma in my hand, I felt free. After going to school with the same people every day from kindergarten to 12th grade in a small suburban town in New Jersey, I knew it was time to be in a new place with new people. The solution to this desire to escape and explore seemed simple: go to college.

The thought of taking a gap year never even entered my mind and was never a topic of discussion between the kids at my school. We all had some sort of notion built into us that people who took gap years were the ones who didn't get into any good colleges or had an obstacle preventing them from tackling the next step in life. It never occurred to me that people voluntarily took a year off after high school, and used that year to do something amazing. Only until stepping onto campus and hearing the stories and experiences from other students who took a gap year did I realize not only how wrong I was on why people take a gap year, but how I had missed out on a unique opportunity. Here's why:

1. If you’re undecided, this is a chance to find what you love.

images.pexels.com

If you're like me, you chose a school based on general aspects like academic prestige, size, and location. I had, and still have, no idea what I want to study or what career I want to pursue after graduation. All I knew was that I wanted a change of scenery, which is actually what a gap year is for. A gap year allows you to not only figure out what you want to study but where you want to study. As cheesy as it sounds, it's a year to find yourself because honestly, even the people who act like they all have it figured out, don't.

2. You can explore somewhere new.

images.pexels.com

Once you're off the college, you're always busy. Breaks are short and the pressure is on to take classes, do research, and scourge for internships during any downtime you have. Sure, you can go abroad for a semester, but it's typically just for a few months with a more structured curriculum. When else would you have a full year of freedom devoted to nothing but traveling the world and gaining experiences of a lifetime?

3. It’s more common than you think.

images.pexels.com

You don't need to be going through an existential crisis to take a year off between high school and college. Coming to Emory, I've met several students who took a gap year because they wanted to experience something new and exciting before settling down and following the traditional path of studying in college. Besides from being a year older than most other freshmen, the transition into college is just as easy, if not easier than students coming straight from high school.

4. You’ll be even more ready and eager to attend college.

images.pexels.com

The transformation from high school to college was a rather rushed and stressful process. Graduating in June and getting shipped off to a new school down South was a whirlwind that I can barely remember. With barely any time to catch my breath after AP tests and finals, I was already spending hours searching the class atlas for anything to fill my schedule. I rarely had the time to cross anything off my bucket list or do any traveling because I was too busy preparing for the big transition to life as a college student.

5. It’s kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity.

images.pexels.com

Sure, you have the rest of your life to travel the world and try crazy things. But this is a chance to take a full year to go wherever you want and do whatever you want! Take a class, do volunteer work, save up some money with a job, or simply travel. The options are endless and exciting!

Taking a gap year definitely isn't for everyone. Some know exactly what they want to study and are ready to dive into a new school and start their classes. But for people like me who are unsure of what they want and where they want to end up in life, taking a gap year is essentially the ideal route to take.