Why I Love to Draw

Why I Love to Draw

How Art Impacted My Life

12
Why I Love to Draw

I am an artist. My mother always told me that I've been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil. In elementary school, most kids would get in trouble for talking too much in class or tossing airplanes across the room, I always got busted for doodling in my notebooks instead of paying attention. The point is: I love to draw. I could spend hours in a quiet room sketching to my heart's content. Drawing has been a huge part of my life, heck, it has become my brand (thatguywhodraws).

Surprisingly, it wasn't until High School when I began to truly value my art. Before, I looked at it as a hobby; I didn't want to take it any further than that. High school, however, was one of the most confusing times of my life. Looking back at those times, I had no identity; I stayed off to the sides and didn't really get involved in many activities. I remember being bored a lot. So with nothing to do and not many people to talk to, I would doodle in class. It was what made me happy. Art became a place where I felt truly free. On the page, I am not limited by anything but my own mind and ability.

The reason why I continue to draw is to entertain. I want people to be able to relax, have fun, and treat life like a project. Instead of worrying about the specifics, build upon life bit by bit; learn from mistakes and be satisfied with the results. There are countless old drawings that I just want to forget. There have been tons of times when I feel like I'm not good enough. I struggle with creating new ideas and concepts almost every day. But I continue to do what I love because it's worth the pain.

This all applies not just to drawing in general, but to any creative expression. I've met musicians, dancers, poets, and writers with that same drive to do what they love. It's what keeps us going forward no matter the cost.

I do not know exactly what I want to do with my art (I've dabbled with comics and animation) or where It will take me, but I know that if I am free to do what I want, I will be satisfied. I just have to keep working on it.

###