7 Reasons Why I Love Raving

7 Reasons Why I Love Raving

Why the EDM community forever has a special place in my heart.

201
7 Reasons Why I Love Raving

When most people think of a rave, they picture an abandoned warehouse, teenagers on drugs, and a whole lot of lasers. This might have been a somewhat accurate stereotype back when it started to take hold in the 90s, but today's rave is an entirely different world. From body acceptance to spiritual awakenings, here are the 7 reasons why I love being part of the EDM community.

PLUR is a way of life.

PLUR (Peace, Love, Unity, Respect) is a philosophy used by ravers as a guideline for how to treat others and these are attributes you can apply whether you're at a rave or battling life in the real world. I like to think of it as a code of conduct for how you treat both yourself and other people, and it reminds me everyday to treat yourself and the world with as much kindness and love as your heart can hold.

My self-confidence is sky-high.

Back before I started to attend raves and festivals, I barely felt comfortable in shorts and a crop top. However, as I started to see so many amazing young women feel comfortable and confident in their bodies and what they wore, it gave me the confidence and strength to step outside my comfort zone and shine to the best of my ability – which grows with each passing day.

EDM music speaks to my very soul.

The feelings that resonate within me when I'm in the middle of a crowd at an EDM festival is quite indescribable – it's like nothing I've ever experienced in my entire 22 years of living. My very heart and soul connects to joy on a completely different level when I get to hear the art displayed by my favorite DJs and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Raves have the nicest people in the world.

I can wholeheartedly say that the people I've met within this community are the nicest and most caring of any that I have ever encountered. Everyone there is united through their love of this music and is dedicated to opening their arms, mind, and heart to those around them to want to experience the same love.

I've made life-long friends.

People that I met in the crowd at an EDM festival have come to be some of my closest friends. Out of a sea of tens of thousands of people, it's so easy to make countless close connections with people you share a special vibe with.

I am completely free to express myself.

In a world where we, especially women, are judged mercilessly on our appearances, raves and festivals are a safe heaven where you can be free in every sense of the word. No matter what you wear, or how you dance, this community celebrates you for being you and embraces a judgment-free zone.

We're all here for the same thing.

It's my dream come true: a world where we all come together for our love of music, surrounded by amazing sounds, loving people, and a beautiful haven to experience it in. There's no feeling like it.