5 Things I'm Thankful For Living In My Own College Apartment
Life Stages

Goodbye dorms; I'm an upperclassman now.

145
Personal Photo

This year, I am living in an apartment near the football field on Butler's campus. I am so excited to have my own space. Although most of my friends are still living back in our sorority house again, I decided to live with other girls from my house to still get a similar experience but to have more personal space. This time I can have my sisters, but I can also have things I can call my own. Here's a list of what I am thankful for after one week of living in my apartment:

1. My Own Room

I love having the ability to shut my door and still be able to focus. I love being able to have my own room to decompress or to have some private time. Although I love to be able to be social and to hang out with others, I like to go to bed at night in my own space. Sometimes after a long or stressful day, I like to be alone, and I feel like I can do that in my apartment. Although I lose a feeling of community, I know my roommates are just a couple steps outside of my door.

2. A Kitchen

Living in an apartment means that you can cook your own food. I haven't quite hit the same cooking level as my parents have, but I like to think that I am on my way. I love that I can buy healthy food options and how I can eat the foods that I want to eat, instead of having a menu decide for me. The ability to cook and decide meals makes me feel way more grown up.

3. Sharing A Shower With Only ONE Person

Say goodbye to shower shoes!!! I can organize and clean my bathroom however I want. I don't have to worry about making sure I have waterproof shoes on to head into the bathrooms. There is something so great about having a shower that feels like yours. I currently share my shower with one other roommate.

4. Feeling Older And Mature

The dorm-like setting can make you feel like freshman year never ends. I like being a little bit away from the action on campus. Because I am an upperclassman, my schedule and demands are different from where they were two years ago.

5. Walking To Campus

To some people, this may be the worst possible thing. To me, I love being able to get outside and to walk to class. I hold myself accountable when I know I have to time my walk out to a class. I can't just roll out of bed ten minutes before I have to be there. Now, I am five minutes from the HRC, the workout center on campus. I am also right next to Hinkle when basketball season comes around.

Here's to the first semester as an upperclassman! I am too excited to see how living in my apartment plays out. For now, I am enjoying every minute of it. If you need me you can find me at C103.