Why Having Big Brothers Is The Best

Why Having Big Brothers Is The Best

A letter to my brothers who have taught me so much.

99
Why Having Big Brothers Is The Best

Imagine this. You're six years old. Your oldest brother is eleven and your middle brother is nine. It's a Saturday and they finally let you play with them. What will you do? Ride scooters...climb trees...play army...run football routes...jump on the trampoline...play video games? No. While each these activities did happen throughout our childhood, today your brothers decide they want to have airsoft gun wars.

This was my childhood, and some memories that I will never forget. Granted, I got hurt almost every time we played outside, but that made me tough (or so I'd like to think). Chandler and Tyler, you are the best brothers I could have every asked for, and I want you to know how much I love each of you.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to the days where I annoyed y'all by doing forward rolls, cartwheels and handstands throughout the house. I miss the days that we played with Bowser, or when y'all told me stories just to scare me, like when Tyler told me that ghosts would come out of the air vents if I looked at them at night. (P.S. I still will not look at air vents at night to this day...thank you for that.)

As we got older, our relationships changed.

Tyler, I cherished the nights that we would watch your "high school age" movies while I scratched your back. This was the time I was able to have deep talks with you, which is the only reason I would scratch your back for an hour at a time. When Ashton came into the picture, I loved getting to stay in your room, because that became a time where we could bond and I could ask you big, life questions. You have always had the most genuine, honest answers that have given me lots of wisdom of the years.

Chandler, I loved spending time with you working out and running. You pushed me from a young age and allowed me to see what it looked like to put your heart into everything you did. Although you drove me crazy being late to school everyday, I loved the time we had in your truck to talk or jam to music. You have been my go-to to call when I am upset and just need someone to listen.

Although all of these things are some of my favorite memories, my favorite thing is the way each of you have been protective over me. I've learned to appreciate each of your honesty and opinions when y'all feel like I deserved better or could do better. Y'all have reminded me of my own worth and have set a high standard when it comes to the people in my life.

As we have gotten older, our relationships have changed. We are still just as close, just in different ways. Tyler, you actually hug me now! Chandler, we talk more on the phone than we ever did! Now that you are both married, I have gained two sisters and a larger support system.

I am so proud of both of you, and I hope that I can live up to the expectations that each of you set before me so I can make y'all proud, too. Thank y'all for being the best big brothers a girl could ask for. I love y'all.