Why Do We Have Favorite Colors?

Why Do We Have Favorite Colors?

The world is too colorful to truly pick a favorite.

253
Why Do We Have Favorite Colors?
Eden R. Ellis

I've been coloring a lot lately. I have some pretty sweet coloring books, so there's really no question about it: I could spend hours coloring while listening to music or watching TV because it's just so relaxing and, well, colorful. Since I've always claimed my favorite color to be green, you'd think I'd use a lot of green in my coloring. This is partially true, but I realized that it's not my favorite color to color with. To me, the best colors always end up being deep purples and blues. Is it me, or does it come down to colored pencil quality? Or maybe, since I use each color roughly the same amount, maybe I like all of them equally? Can rainbow be my favorite color? Regardless of the colored pencils I'm using, though, I really do enjoy looking at every color. R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. and everything in between.

Why is that? I don't even know why I chose green as my favorite color, anyway. Why do people even have "favorite colors?" We're surrounded by all sorts of colors every day, so I can't understand why or how someone could ever choose a favorite. Some people are color blind; seeing color is something most people take for granted. Really, there's no denying that all colors are beautiful in their own ways. Also, when it comes down to picking out what color shirt to wear (for example), chances are you'll just go with whatever you're feeling that day without even thinking twice about your favorite color. Really, what's the point of having a favorite color in the first place when there are some days when you might like a different color better?

My favorite color is (supposedly) green, but sometimes I look at the color blue and think, "Blue's a cool color" (not literally, of course). Other days, I could be doing the same for red, pink, purple, yellow, you name it. Maybe there's always that one color you turn to (mostly for when someone asks what your favorite color is), but I have a feeling that you're not even wearing your favorite color right now. Unless your favorite color is something like denim or black, of course, because those can go with pretty much anything!

My point is, color is everywhere. Maybe there are some colors you like less than others. Maybe you'd rather not look at the colors of nasty things. But for the most part, color makes everything beautiful and vibrant. Colors have the power to change your mood, regardless of what you consider to be your favorite color. Reds and yellows are energizing, blues and purples are calming even if you don't particularly like those colors. Maybe you really do have a favorite color and you won't change your mind anytime soon, but admit it: That doesn't make the others any less awesome.