I'm Glad My Parents Couldn't Afford To Pay For My College Education

Loans, loans, and more loans.

319
Wise Geek

Well, not really. I’m not particularly happy about coming out of college with $50,000 worth of debt… But I’d be lying if I said that not relying on my parents financially hasn’t taught me a thing or two.

When I first decided that I’d attend LIU Post, I wasn’t focused on the tuition or debt at all. I was completely entranced by the artsy campus and the idea of ‘adulting.’ My parents told me I could go wherever I wanted as long as I paid for it by myself… And naïve as I was, I looked at loans as free money. Boy, was I wrong.

Though I’ve only made a couple of small payments toward my tuition, since loans do not require payment until six months following graduation, I have had to pay for just about everything else: school supplies, textbooks, dorm supplies, gas once I started commuting… The list goes on and on.

My parents have always been the type of parents to encourage me to do things on my own. But even though they always pushed me to be independent, I’m sure they would’ve loved to help me out with paying for my education if they could have. Unfortunately, right around the time of the recession, my dad was laid off. It was then that my family really began to struggle financially and have not since been able to truly recover.

So for those of you who had to work your way through college without the help of mom and dad, this is for you. To be honest, I think you are better off this way – I think you have been given the opportunity to take your education seriously, to work harder than you ever would have had your parents funded your education, and to learn what it means to be a responsible young adult.

Here’s a brief list of how you’ve benefitted from paying for your own education.

1. As cliché as it may sound, you are hyper-aware that money does not grow on trees.
  2. You’ve learned that material things aren’t as important as some may think.
  3. You work hard and play hard (using your own money!)
  4. You do not expect handouts.
  5. You’ve learned the importance of humility. Flaunting is not cool.

So if someone were to ask me whether or not I will pay for my future child’s college education, I will say, “Hopefully college is free by then.” (lol – sorry… had to throw in some election 2016 humor for ya.)

But really. I will teach my children the importance of independence from a very young age. It’s important. I will likely help to pay for their tuition, but only a little bit! I want them to have the same experience I did – because I know they will be better people as a result.

So don't feel bad, mom and dad. Whether you realize it or not, you taught me a great lesson.

Even Forbes says so.