Why I Am A "Frat Guy"

Why I Am A "Frat Guy"

I came to college feeling like a nobody... but then I found Phi Kappa Theta.

20
Why I Am A "Frat Guy"
Lehigh Phi Kappa Theta

"Ugggg those Frat guys are soooo annoying."

"That guy must be in a frat, he looks like a tool!!"

These are a couple of things that you think about when you think of a "Frat guy." Well there is a lot more to it and here is why I went Greek and joined a fraternity.

One of the biggest things that happened to me when I first came to college was that I felt completely out of place. A little fish in a huge pond to be cliche. I came from a home town of around 2,000 people and I graduated in a class around 60 people. That being said... pretty much everyone knew me and I knew pretty much everyone. The problem with this is that I moved to a town of 10,000 people and then you have to add around another 10,000 people with the college. That is 20,000 people and I am one of those. I don't know if you understand how big of difference that is but out of that 20,000 people I am .005 of a percent. That is extremely small and I did not know any one so I really felt alone. That is until I walked through my college's Student Organization Fair. There was one organization that stood out to me and that was Phi Kappa Theta. They showed me that I was not alone in this sea of people and that just because I was at college, I did not have to change to fit in.

Once I started hanging out with the guys that would eventually become my brothers, I knew that I was not just a number or just some random person. They showed me that I could still stay involved in my community by volunteering and helping with fundraisers. I learned I could continue my faith through Bible studies that not only kept me close to my faith but also helped me grow as a person and man. They showed me that it is okay to need help with things, and that there are always going to be someone out there to help you out no matter the problem.

Another thing that Phi Kappa Theta has done for me is made me get organized and take leadership roles. After my first semester of being initiated, I was able to take a position on the board as treasurer. I have played a major role in several philanthropic projects that have been very successful. This gave me responsibility for something that I thought was important.

Finally, I also learned something very important about Greek Life in general. It does not matter what the fraternity or sorority you are in, every single one will come and back you up with any philanthropy, tragedy, or even housework. Everyone in the Greek community have their own story that people do not realize, but when someone is in need everyone comes to help. That is why I went Greek.