Why Ferris Bueller Had This Whole Senior Thing Figured Out

Just slow down.

15
mode.com

Graduation is in two weeks. What the heck. At times this journey has seemed like it would never end, but now the train is speeding toward that light at the end of the tunnel and the end of my undergrad career is suddenly extremely close.

Normally by this point in the year I am just ready to be done. There is nothing I would like more than a break. I have already packed everything except for the absolute essentials and I’m basically living out of a suitcase. It takes several long nights and some missed meals, but I trudge through the last of my work, slowed because I have already begun to mentally check out and dream of summer days with no papers looming over my head.

This year, however, I’m trying in vain to slam on the breaks. I’m not ready to say goodbye to everyone and hit the road because this farewell will have a bit more finality. I won’t be returning here next year; instead, I will be thrust into the real world and join society as an adult with a big girl job.

Don’t get me wrong, I am so excited about everything that is coming up in life. The pieces are all beginning to fall in place and I’m thrilled to finally have a glimpse into what my adult life is shaping up to be. But opening new doors means closing others behind me and I want to hold on to every last little memory I will get to make while I’m still in college.

The past couple of weeks have been full of lasts: my last lesson at student teaching, my last time singing with the choir at church, my last class meeting with my fourth graders, and my last test score submitted to the state to earn my teaching certificate.

The next couple of weeks, likewise, will bring many more lasts: my last day as a student teacher, my last shift at my campus job, my last night living in a dorm, and so many more...

As things have begun to wrap up, I find myself trying to do as much as I can with the growing amount of free time that I have. There are so many people to meet up with, things to be organized, and tasks to accomplish before I’m ready to leave this place. In reality, much of that stuff isn’t truly important, but I don’t want to look back on this time wondering why I wasted these last few precious weeks binge-watching Netflix or sitting holed up in my room.

To all you seniors out there, I know you’re ready to put this one in the books and move on to bigger and better things, but don’t rush things. You will likely never again have the chance to live in such close proximity to so many of your friends. You likely won’t have your summers and winters off to destress or even to take a fun summer job to earn a little extra cash.

Life as you know it is about to change. Enjoy every last drop of this experience before you rush into the next one. You’ll never truly appreciate anything you’re doing in life if you’re always preoccupied with what will come next. Just slow down. After all, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."