Why I Don't Mind Being In A Long Distance Relationship

Distance means so little when someone means so much.

506
https://www.pinterest.com

Every time I tell someone that I'm in a long distance relationship, they give me a look as if they just heard nails screeching across a chalkboard. Most people will respond with "how could you ever do that don't you guys miss each other?" or "so do you think it's going to last?" (Side note, do you realize how rude that sounds?) My answer to this is simple, if you love someone enough, even if it means not seeing them everyday, THEN YOU WILL MAKE IT WORK!

First off, let me explain our situation. My boyfriend and I have been dating two and a half years. We met at community college, then recently transferred to state schools this past fall. I go to SUNY Plattsburgh and my boyfriend goes to SUNY Brockport (that's six whole hours!) And even when we're home on breaks, we still live an hour and a half away from each other. Of course we miss each other, but if you really love someone you will do anything that it takes in order to stay with them. And of course we think it's going to last, if we didn't think it would last then we wouldn't be dating in the first place.

When we first found out how far we would be from each other we had our doubts, as anyone would. We spent every single day together for the past two years and now we would only see each other maybe once a month if we were lucky. But we talked it out and decided that we would rather try it and see how things go than just give up right then and there. In all honesty, we are happier than ever. Whoever came up with the quote "distance makes the heart grow founder" is absolutely right. We have learned to appreciate eachother more, and we charish every little moment that we spend together. Here are five tips of advice that will hopefully make you feel better about being in a long distance relationship:

1. Don't overthink the situation.

As I had mentioned, my boyfriend and I really sat down and talked about what we were going to do. If you really truly think that you cannot maintain a stable relationship without seeing that person everyday, then maybe it's best if you end it. But wouldn't you rather try and see how it goes?

2. It will give you something to look forward to.

Every-time there's a break or special occasion, my boyfriend and I make plans to see each other. We plan out exactly what we want to do before hand that way we have things to look forward to.

3. It will also make you look forward to the future.

Browsing through apartments for sale and puppies that are up for adoption has become my new favorite hobby. My boyfriend and I constantly talk about our plans for the future, and with only one more year left of college it will be here before we know it.

4. Take advantage of technology.

Skype, FaceTime, texting, all of that wonderful technology that makes it feel like your significant other isn't thousands of miles away.

5. You'll always have someone to talk to.

Yeah it might be hard to work around each other's schedules in order to talk to them sometimes, but nothing is better than when you finally get that phone call and hear their voice after a long day.

So if you're the type of person that thinks that long distance relationships never work, I truly hope that this article changed your mind. You never know what you might miss out on if you give up something too soon.