Why Denison University Writes With Odyssey

Hear from the students themselves why they write for Odyssey Online.
47

One of the many reasons Denison University continues to thrive as a fantastic institution is the number of extracurricular activities provided to students. Even with the relatively small student body, Denison offers a wide variety of sports, theatrics, Greek organizations and on-campus jobs, not to mention writing opportunities. From the school newspaper to Denison's own satirical newspaper The Bullsheet to HerCampus, The Synapse, and Spoon University, any student interested in writing is welcomed with an abundance of options.

This November marks The Odyssey Online's third year at Denison, and while the media platform continues to develop and grow, so does its team of Denison University writers. Our team's passion for writing shines through with every article each writer puts out, and even when the going gets tough, when writer's block hits or motivation lags, Denison's Odyssey writers find ways to push through it. I could say more about them, but it would be more appropriate if you heard from the team itself why they enjoy writing for Odyssey.

Sarah Droder: I love writing for so many reasons, but the main one that comes to mind is because it gives me a platform and a confidence to be unapologetically myself, to write about the things that matter to me, to vent or rant or to process on paper or even just to laugh at myself. It is a place I can find out more about myself while relating to others all at once. Odyssey specifically is such an encouraging team of people who all have the passion for words, GIFs, cheesy listicles, news reports, and meaningful prose all at once. At its core, Odyssey is an incredible way to meet people, spark conversation and to connect with others who share your interests, thoughts, and passions.

Stephanie Gorsek: I am well aware of the reputation Odyssey has cemented in people's minds, but the fact that Odyssey lets me write about ultimately whatever is on my mind is a blessing for which I have not thanked them enough. I enjoy writing about politics but I also enjoy expressing my thoughts on music or through a relatable listicle, and people can choose not to read them. I thank Odyssey for giving me space on their platform.

Taylor Hawk: I like writing for Odyssey because it’s a supportive community of talented writers. Also, Odyssey allows my voice to be heard on a large platform.

Kellsey Medsger: I'd say that because I'm not artistic in a visual or performing arts sense, I like to write in general as a form of self expression, and I think writing for Odyssey is a fun way to do that and easily share it with others. I like that we're able to write about whatever topic we want, in whatever way we want, and be a part of a community of people who are interested in doing the same.

MacKenzie Mick:I love writing for Odyssey because it gives me a chance to discuss everything I want to, from the most serious of issues to the funniest of listicles. It also gives me an opportunity to have my own public platform to showcase and share my pieces with the world!

McKenna Ross: I like writing for Odyssey because it allows me a freedom of expressing myself and having an audience. We spend so much time trying to express ourselves in the world. Desperate to make our voice stand out, and even if it’s a small audience, Odyssey is a way of letting you know that you’re being heard.

Anna Wojenski: I like writing in general because it gives me an outlet to be totally and completely myself or totally and completely not myself at all. With writing, you can be anyone you want to be. It is an escape to a different place, a world that will always be there. I like writing for Odyssey because I can write about whatever I want, in whatever way I want. I don't have to pretend. I can just be honest.

So there you have it. Our current team has a lot to say about the platform, but there is one point I forgot to mention about why I like writing for Odyssey so much.

I like reading what other Odyssey writers, especially Denison's, have to say. It is crucial that a university as small as ours is given an opportunity to speak up not just on campus but outside of its bubble as well. To put it simply, I like hearing our writers' voices, and I make it my job to elevate them as high as I can.