Why Do We Date?

Why Do We Date?

Love is a decision accompanied by an emotion that leads to commitment

7780
Why Do We Date?
godsdesign

When did anyone say why we date? I am sure you remember your mom or dad saying you couldn't date until you were a certain age. At the time you were eager to date someone, but didn't understand why you had to wait until you were at certain age to date. Did it ever occur to you that your parents were protecting you from the fact you weren't ready? If I could go back in time I wouldn't have dated at 15 or even in in first years of college. Wait to date until you can marry. What is the rush in this whole "dating" thing. How can we date when we don't understand the project? How can we pick our partner when we don't understand marriage. Dating is not really stated in the bible, but marriage is -- it's God's invention. Do you fully understand the project of marriage?

What is with this whole "relationship goals" statement? Why do we look to others for guidance in dating when God created marriage for a purpose. We have a purpose as single people and we have a purpose when we come together with someone else. Wait until you find the guy God created for you, wait until you are grounded in Christ before you seek someone to date, ultimately wait until you know yourself to date someone. Dating is not something you rush, its something you choose to do to seek fulfillment when you should be seeking God. When we try to seek out a perfect person, or look to someone else relationship for "goals" what you have in front of you falls apart. Why do we think the relationships we see on TV and the relationships on Instagram are GOALS! It's not goals because we see a perfect picture when in reality relationships are not sunshine and rainbows.

When you think about the word love what comes to mind? Having your boyfriend showering you with gifts? Or do you think about the way God loves us? Relationships are meant for fun they have a purpose which is marriage. When did society start thinking of dating as something fun to do? We started throwing around the word love when we don't even understand it. More people are single because its fun and you can do whatever you want. In reality God created marriage for a purpose. Man needed woman. That person is your best friend and sorry to say, but it's not your dog. Your best friend is your soulmate.

Loving someone is a decision. Love isn't a feeling, a force, or something that you are a victim to. Love is intentional. Love is a decision accompanied by an emotion that leads to commitment. You need to find someone who understands the project of marriage and who is ready for it. We put so much investment in things that fade the fastest. The world says marry to be happy, but God says marry to become whole. If you are with someone to be happy then you are putting responsibility on someone that can't fulfill your want. They will NEVER be able to make you happy because that is not their purpose. You will never be satisfied if that's the reason you are dating or marrying someone.

So wait. Wait to find that person who understands the project. Don't date around because it is "fun". Date someone because you know they will join you on your walk with Christ. Don't waste your time on relationships you know aren't right, don't waste your time on someone who doesn't value the same things as you, and don't invest into someone who isn't invested in you. If you date and you know it isn't right, that is going to lead to a lot of pain and confusion.