Why Critics Are Crazy To Criticize "Beauty and The Beast"

This movie is easily the best remake to ever exist, so how could anyone ever not enjoy it?

45
Google Images

About two and half weeks ago, the remake of Walt Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" was released. In just its first weekend alone, "Beauty and the Beast" made $170 million in North American ticket sales and is this year's top opener. It sold out more than 1,000 shows across the United States even before opening night, and it became the fastest selling family-film in Fandango history. Many people, including myself, went out to see this movie because they grew up with the original. Others brought their kids because they were too young to see the original, but wanted to expose them to the greatness that is Disney. Some just went to see what all the hype was about. No matter the reason, this magically-made remake was loved all across the world by millions.

But, what's really shocking is that it's reviews from some top-named critics were not as positive as expected to be. On Rotten Tomatoes, it earned a 71% and averaged a 6.6/10. Top critic Matthew Lickona claimed that every servant besides Cogsworth came off as "hammy and campy, while Kevin Kline seemed lost as Belle's father and Luke Evans turned alpha male; Gaston into a bigger cartoon than the original". In my opinion, the casting director, Lucy Bevan, did a fabulous job casting this movie. Although, Lickona believed that the servants came off as "overly theatrical", these are talking household objects we are referring to. They aren't supposed to be relatable, they are supposed to be comical and witty while still being lovable at the same time. Kevin Kline was spectacular as Belle's loving, caring, and slightly overprotective father. Although he is an artist instead of an inventor in the remake, he is still the same "crazy 'ol Maurice" that everybody knows and loves, and Kline portrayed that perfectly. In terms of Luke Evans as Gaston, no one could have pulled off such a self-centered, snarky, and annoyingly charming character as he did. Gaston has the type of character personality that everyone is supposed to hate from the start of the movie, and his egotistical nature is not supposed to be taken seriously. Despite what Lickona says, there's no other way to portray Gaston than as a very fake, self-obsessed "character".

Although there are a lot of negative reviews aimed at the movie, there were even more positive reviews of critics who really appreciated the beauty and the artistry behind the film. Anthony Lane from the New Yorker wrote, "The sheer dexterity is overwhelming, and only the sternest viewer will be able to resist the onslaught of such thoroughly marketed magic". Peter Travers from Rolling Stone wrote, "What Beauty and the Beast rises or falls on is the love story, and here, allowed to slow down to let in intimate moments, the movie catches fire. It's an exhilarating gift". Despite the negative reviews that their co-workers and peers published, these critics truly admired and respected the amazing work that is "Beauty and the Beast".

Overall, it's insane to believe that anyone could hate or dislike the remake of "Beauty and the Beast". It was beautifully written, filmed, and put together. It is a movie for all ages, new and old Disney lovers, and everyone in-between. Despite what these critics say, I don't think this movie is going to lose any hype or revenue because it will always be a classic. Even if the hype for the movie does die down, I will always be fan of this amazing movie.