Why College Students Should Travel More

Why College Students Should Travel More

Traveling gives you so many opportunities.

76
Why College Students Should Travel More
University Times

Even though I haven't traveled nearly as much as I would like to, the few places I have been to have taught me so much. Traveling opens your eyes to all the possibilities you have once you graduate.

I always thought I would live in the same place I grew up after I graduate. After traveling to places that are all different from home, I'm not so sure anymore. While there is absolutely nothing wring with staying in your hometown, moving farther away can give you more opportunities and a nice change. Going from a very developed suburban area to school in an area surrounded by much more rural areas has given me a different perspective. I used to dislike places that weren't like home, simply because they were different from where I grew up. I quickly learned, however, that just like with anything else, different doesn't mean bad. Each place has a different subculture and different opportunities than another.

College is one of the best times to travel that you'll have. You finally have the freedom to go wherever you want, and you don't have the complete responsibilities of a "real" job yet that would keep you from having the time to explore the world. Even if you have a summer job, it will likely be much more flexible than a future career job. Let's not forget that you also have semester break and shorter breaks like Spring Break as great opportunities to travel. Compared to the job you'll have after college, you have much more time available to take advantage of.

Most colleges have study abroad programs, which are great ways to travel and earn credit while you expand your horizons. Some colleges allow you to participate over smaller breaks if you don't want to (or cant) study abroad during the summer. There are also organizations like Focus Missions that offer service trips and sport camps for students over 18, and even Greek organizations to go on. The company offers trips both within the country and in foreign locations. This is a great way to give back and be able to go somewhere you've never been to. Go Abroad offers study, volunteer, intern, and teach abroad opportunities, which are great resume builders at the same time.