Why College Students Get No Sleep

Why College Students Get No Sleep

No sleep is all a trend

403
Why College Students Get No Sleep
Huffington Post

It is no question that college students get little to no sleep, especially around finals time. I know what you are thinking; here is another girl complaining about the hardships of college and how she gets no sleep. However, this is quite the opposite. I see numerous Snapchat stories almost every day of my fellow classmates staying up and doing homework at 4 a.m. Here is why:

Doing nothing all day and staying up all night to study is simply a trend. It is complete and utter nonsense that people procrastinate all day and get no sleep just so they can post a Snapchat story that is time marked "4:03 a.m. still at the library". A whole lot of people live to blend in with the crowd and be like everyone else. This is the reason for no sleep. You are not supposed to get any sleep.

You would be hard pressed to find a person that goes to sleep before midnight because everyone is studying from midnight to 4 a.m. or 5 a.m. But what did every do from the time they got out of their last class to midnight? Nothing. We love to procrastinate. Everyone does. If you have never procrastinated than you are not human. Also, please teach me your ways.

You grow up hearing that college students stay up all night to do all the work that they have been assigned because college is such a struggle. Half of that is true. College is a struggle and I know that right now I am fighting an uphill battle. I am only just finishing my first semester of college so maybe I do not know as much as I think I do, but what I have experienced as of right now, I can confidently say that there is no reason to pull an all-nighter to "study" other than just being able to say you did it. Now I am not saying anything is necessarily wrong with this if you learn the material and pass your classes, but the perception that college is so hard that there is physically no time to sleep, well that is just not true.

Personally, I will never be able to fathom how college students walk around having four hours of sleep a night. Your body needs sleep. Actually, your body needs 7-9 hours of sleep a night. So, take a breather. Sleep. You can worry when you wake up.