Why Cleveland Has a Special Place in My Heart

26

What do you think of when you hear the word Cleveland? Sports, politics, this guy?

When it comes to the city of Cleveland, most people do think of our terrible luck with sports teams or the earsplitting way we pronounce our A's, but Cleveland is so much more than that. 

Not so long ago when I was a youth (so this summer), I wanted to escape the nasally north and move down "south" aka Columbus, as fast as I could. I hated the lake effect snow, endless winter, and Lake Erie; I didn't find bliss in anything up there. That was because I was only looking at the surface and not deep down in what Cleveland really had to offer me. 

For me, C-Town was a "quick" 30 minute drive from where I live, but of course, who wants to drive on the highway full of crazy drivers just to spend the next 4 hours looking for a good parking spot close to downtown? It wasn't until recently while walking around downtown Columbus, that I truly started to miss the original C-Town. I never realized how much more diverse it was and how much more it had to offer me. It's sad that I've spent 20 years complaining about how there is nothing to do, when the answer to that problem was only a short 30 minute drive away! 

Walking around Tower City at night is spectacular. Obviously, the West Side Market gives you a taste of cuisines from around the world and not to mention my favorite little slice of Italy known as Little Italy. Sure, Columbus has German Village and North Market along with many restaurants to choose from up and down High and The Short North, but to me, it still doesn't compare to the vast menu of Cleveland's foodie paradise. 

Even though Columbus has an array of night life experiences, it will never amount to the wonders Cleveland has to offer with its local bands, top-notch world-renowned bars, and of course, phenomenal live performances ranging from theatrical to dance to comedy. Columbus may have the best dang fans in the land, but Cleveland has the best long-term fans. The fans that stick to their city no matter how bad we suck at sports, and even when we still have a love-hate relationship with King James. Clevelanders expose what it means to be a die-hard fan, and even though I may not be a super fan of all our teams or for most sports teams that don't involve water or the original football (soccer), I still marvel at how much love our city has for our sports teams! 

Cleveland is making a comeback. It's the underdog, the comeback kid. Columbus may be my home away from home, but my heart will always belong to Cleveland.