Why Christianity Isn't Careful

Why Christianity Isn't Careful

The relentless pursuit of our Savior is anything but careful.

12
Why Christianity Isn't Careful
N/A

Christianity is not calm.

Christianity is not careful.

Christianity is not comfortable.

Some Christians might read that and disagree, at which point I would ask how sincerely they consider themselves Christians.

You see, somewhere along the way, we fell into the cultural misconception that Christianity, religion, and God are all simply crutches meant to help us get through life easily. If we sprinkle a little religion in at Christmas, Easter, or whenever we find ourselves in a difficult situation, we get just enough Jesus to satisfy our small craving. Instead of getting full from a meat and potatoes relationship with God, we get by on meager rations of John 3:16 and Jeremiah 29:11 here and there.

We make sure that we look like Christians, though. Heaven forbid (haha) that we come across as secular. We make sure that we reference a Bible verse in our bios and post just enough pictures of our Bible with a sunset, a coffee shop, or our significant other to appear truly Christ-like. We wear all the right clothes that are just modest enough to attract the other church singles without crossing the line. We live in a way that trails along the border of righteousness with just enough room to step away and live worldly lives when we want to. We make sure that we aren’t considered too Christian, though, because that would kill the aesthetic.

I’m not condemning Scripture inspired social media posts or cute clothes or trying to get closer to those we’re interested in. None of those things are innately sinful. The problem arises when we replace our relationship with God with an ideal image that goes no further than what we tell other people. The problem lies not with sharing our personal lives and opinions, but in fearing the criticism of others to the point of fitting the mold of “politically correct.” The problem begins when our relationship with God goes from “hopelessly and desperately in love” to “complacently comfortable.”

Christianity is not supposed to be easy, comfy, or simple. Jesus and His disciples didn’t spread the religion by sharing “Share if you LOVE Jesus, ignore if you have no soul” posts or posting the occasional selfie with Scripture references. They traveled hundreds of miles, on foot, to verbally spread the good news to those who needed to hear it. They cast out demons, performed miracles, and fed the masses to be the hands and feet of God. They literally dropped EVERYTHING (friends, family, and jobs) to follow Him because they were so convinced of His power. They ignored the opinions of others and were deemed “politically incorrect” for the sake of Christ. Beyond that, they were KILLED for their beliefs.

Christianity wasn’t built with caution.

We are not meant to live quiet, reserved lives for God. He calls each of us to different things, yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that we are to live radically wherever we end up. Whether you’re a stay at home mom, a middle class business man, or a missionary serving abroad, the Spirit of the Living God should flow from your heart and be evident to all around you. Christianity is throwing off everything that hinders your pursuit of Christ, whether that be people, technology, education, addiction, temptation, etc. Nothing else matters when it comes to Christ.

Please, continue to post Scripture verses, take aesthetically pleasing pictures, and grow in fellowship with those in your church community. These are all pleasurable things meant to be enjoyed. Take care to ensure your identity is found in Christ, though, and not the online world. The person you’ll be when you stand before Him one day is far more important than the person everyone else perceives you to be. Live radically for Christ, and everything else won’t seem so important.