Why I Chose UWA

Why I Chose UWA

"I knew that I wouldn't have been comfortable going anywhere else."

25
Why I Chose UWA
University of West Alabama

When I was a Senior in high school, our teachers started to talk to our class about college and our future. They asked us simple questions, such as where we wanted to go and what we wanted to major in. By that time, everyone knew what they were interested in and how far they wanted to be away from home. Parents started arranging campus tours, and mail from colleges poured in from all over. Eventually, the choices were narrowed down and then applied for. This is how most Seniors in high school spend their year.

Me? Not so much.

I've always known where I would be going to college, which is the University of West Alabama in Livingston, Alabama. I live only 30 minutes away and UWA has hosted events for my schools since before I can remember. I know the campus, I know the teachers, and most importantly I know the students. When my classmates were sending out applications for multiple schools, I only sent out one application. UWA wasn't just my first choice, it was my only choice. I knew that I wouldn't have been comfortable going anywhere else. My family lives close by to UWA and my sister was entering her last few years of high school. I wanted to be able to watch her play sports like she did for me. She just recently graduated high school and will be going to another college relatively close by, which makes me happy because I'll still be able to watch her play sports in college.

Those were the reasons why I chose UWA. Now let's look at the reasons why I stayed.

When I came to UWA, I was only interested in going to classes and singing in the school choir. I never would have guessed that I would be doing everything I do now. By chance, I was given the opportunity to be a band manager for the UWA Scarlet Band from Tiger Land my Freshman year. I accepted, with some persuasion from my best friend. One thing led to another and now I will be performing my second half-time show next month as a mallet player in the percussion. I have also started my third year in the UWA choir, my second year as a choir scholarship recipient at a local church, my second year of percussion lessons, my first year in the UWA Singers, and my first year of voice lessons. Without the help from my teachers, directors, and friends I have made here, I would never be where I am today. I especially would not have made it this far without my best friend. He has kept me sane and steady since day one, and will continue to do so as we enter our Junior year of college.

Every student in college has their own reasons for going and staying where they choose to be, and every student has their own story. These are my reasons, and these do not even amount to half of my story. My wish for you is to remember your reasons, and I hope that you, too, will share your story.