Why I Chose To Be A Teacher

Why I Chose To Be A Teacher

We aren't in it for the income, we are in it for the outcome.

44
Why I Chose To Be A Teacher
bethlenszki

“One Day in Hawaii a ferocious storm washed hundreds of starfish ashore. A woman, on her morning walk, bent down every few steps to throw a starfish back into the sea. A man saw her and commented, “There are so many of the poor things it can’t make any real difference for you to throw these few back.” With a knowing smile, she tossed another starfish into the water and turning to the man and said, “It made a difference to this one.” –Loren Eisley

I aspire to be like the woman who carefully picked up each starfish and placed them back into the ocean. Regardless of the hundreds of starfish laying on the shore, she strived to make a difference. She had hope. She focused on helping one starfish at a time. She was persistent. The woman worked patiently and continuously to help the starfish. She had determination.

The characteristics of persistency, having hope to make a difference and determination are aspects that I strive to attain in my career. I value these aspects as a future educator. I feel strongly that I, as a teacher, can make a difference to children. Research has shown that teachers can make a difference to their students. Students who have effective teachers in school, often have higher achievement on tests. I not only want to make a difference in academics but also in all aspects of development. I feel that my role as a teacher is to help my students grow and learn in all areas of development including: physical development, social-emotional development, and cognitive development.

As a teacher I will always strive to be persistent and consistent. Each moment in the classroom will be cherished and centered on the children. The children will be the focus of every decision made. By doing this, I will give my students a beneficial learning experience in the classroom. When thinking of the student, I will differentiate for the needs of each individual student. Each student’s needs will be taken into consideration when teaching. I will continuously view my students as an individual person and not a number. Each student matters in my classroom and I take my job to heart to help each student learn and develop. Therefore, my classroom will be centered on the students and their individual needs.

Like the woman who made a difference to one starfish, I will aim to make a difference in my student’s lives. John F. Kennedy said, “One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.” I will continue to model the characteristics of the woman at the beach. I will strive towards persistency, the hope to make a difference and determination as an educator. I will make a difference, one child at a time.