Why It's Important Not To Give Up When Faced With A Challenge

Great feats never come from comfort zones.

22
People

To be human means to be flawed. Without imperfections, each of us would live in a perfect world absent of challenges and setbacks. Think twice before you wish for a life free of the inevitable up-and-down roller coasters of human existence. They truly are what make our time spent here worthwhile.

Even though a smooth sailing life may sound enticing, growth is impossible without failure. To accumulate significant lessons, a person must go through all different types of successes and failures. Whether these lessons come from various relationships, personal endeavors, educational pursuits or the like, each adds something to who we are and who we will become. In this way, a person learns not only how to overcome fear, but also how to face it directly and confidently.

As Joshua J. Marine said, “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Defeat builds character and instills admirable traits, such as moxie, grit and humility. From my own shortcomings, I’ve learned how to pick myself up, to gain knowledge from the past and to move toward a positive future. Previous challenges have helped me understand not only who I am as a person, but also what I am capable of overcoming. Trying again even after failing does not equate to weakness, rather to resilience. It is important to remember that strength can be gained from adversity. That is what counts in the long run.

Next time you face defeat, give yourself a little credit and bounce back because there’s something in you that the world needs. Even when it’s scary, be courageous and reach for new heights. Push yourself outside your comfort zone, for that is the place where you will grow the most.