Why Can't We All Be Purple?

Why Can't We All Be Purple?

On the inside, we're more similar than we think.

91
Why Can't We All Be Purple?
popsugar.com

When I was in high school, I had a teacher who told us that when we enter her classroom, skin colors did not exist because everyone was purple. To this day, this line rings in my ears as I look around and attempt to process the events that have swept this country away in a massive storm of hate.

I watch the protests for both Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter, and cry with the families that have had their loved ones senselessly ripped from their lives. Skin tone is just a variation of color, not a justification for prejudice.

Why can’t we all be purple?

Are we not all biologically composed the same way? Do we not all experience the same emotions? Love, fear, happiness, anger. We have given something as trivial as color, the power to not only divide us, but to rob us of the rights that our Constitution guarantees. The United States was founded on the principles of liberty and justice for all who live here, not just a select few. This is the string that has kept our 50 states threaded together throughout history. Now, we are allowing race to be the point of tension that threatens to snap our already weakened thread. We have become a divided nation because we see only through a lens of color rather than a lens of humanity.

Why can’t we all be purple?

Look around at the energy that is being put into anger and division. Imagine what this country would look like if we came together and put that much energy into making our country strong and prosperous. What could we accomplish if we removed our colored glasses and simply saw others as people no different than ourselves? What strides would we make as a nation? How far could we go?

I am a white woman and although I openly acknowledge the blessing of my privilege, I have been brought up in a way that has taught me to love those around you no matter what they look like or where they come from. I have been taught that no matter what your color is, you are a friend, a neighbor, a teacher, a fellow citizen and an equal to me. I do not and have never seen myself as above or more deserving than someone who is racially different.

We are the melting pot, a place for cultures and races to fuse together freely in the most unique way. Who has the authority to deem one ingredient in the pot as more significant than the others? No one has this authority. This is the distinct characteristic that has set America apart from other places. This is why people have literally died in the process of trying to make it here.

Why can’t we all be purple?

We are foolish and ungrateful. We live in a place that is only dreamed about by people around the world. We are fortunate enough to call this country home and what are we doing in return? We’re building walls and barriers to isolate ourselves from other citizens, citizens that have fought and deserve to be here as much as you do.

We need to look at what’s staring us in the face. Our home may seem shaky, but the foundation remains strong. We have the ability to change our country, but it’s a job that can only be done by creating a uniting force. We need to stop showcasing our differences and start looking for what we have in common -- what we all, as Americans, value.

We are all human beings who want to feel loved, respected, appreciated and welcomed. We are the ones who carry the power to make decisions that will shape our country’s future. So why, if we're the same underneath our skin tones, can’t we all be purple?