Why Cancer Awareness Month Is A Year-Round Event

The atrocities of cancer are too severe to not fight all 365 days of the year.

14
Flickr

A month designated to the awareness of the atrocities of cancer, just doesn't seem to do it justice. Every october, there are purple ribbons, pink socks at football games and reminders of those that have been lost or are still fighting the horrific disease as fighters or survivors. In my own life, cancer affects me everyday, so recognizing its unfortunate importance for only a month is somewhat unrealistic.

While the attempt is admirable, I see no point in promoting cancer awareness any less than it affects those we love. Hardly anyone is left untouched by cancer in some aspect of their life. As the world becomes further affected by cancer, we have no choice but to accept its invasiveness and recognize it year-round as advocates for those that we love.

Cancer leaves its mark on our own lives, every month of the year and it is about time that we do the same. There is no way to avoid it, but to be the same dominating force with research and trial drugs. I often wonder what it would have been like if my own father, a victim of melanoma, was diagnosed 20 years later than he had. Would there be a cure? Would he had been here longer? I say victim loosely because never once was my dad accepting of this awful disease. He fought hard each and everyday and showed me the true meaning of resilience and courage. Because of his unwavering strength-both emotional and physical- I feel that it is only right to continue the fight that our loved one's have started.

Regardless of our ribbon color and assigned month, the cancer's which have individually affected each of us are an immense challenge in everyday life. It is up to us to one day deliver a world without the inflictions of this horrific disease.