It's A New Chapter For Book-To-Movie Adaptations, And Now They're Actually Good

And I'm pretty surprised.

18

This year, there were so many great movies that came out in theaters. If anyone had to have me list my top three movies, I would have to say they would be "Christopher Robin," "The Greatest Showman," and "Love, Simon." The one that surprised me the most was "Love, Simon."

That movie was based on the novel by Becky Albertalli, but her original novel was under the title "Simon Versus the Homo-Sapiens Agenda," which was one of my favorite reads of 2018. The whole reason that this surprised me was that in the past, most books to movie adaptations have not been the best. While some like the "Harry Potter" franchise have been good, others like the "Percy Jackson" movies have just not exceeded the expectations from those that have been fans of the series.

I am a person who reads a book before seeing their movie counterpart. So upon hearing about this book becoming a movie, I decided to read it and then give my honest opinion of the movie when I see it.

My opinion: you already know it's in my top three movies. I cried at the end of the movie.

Now, another movie that has exceeded my expectations of the original novel was the Netflix film "To All the Boys I've Loved Before," based on the book of the same title by Jenny Han. I watched that movie the day before the first day of the fall semester for my sophomore year and I have to say that it was amazing. I read the trilogy the summer before (the other books include "P.S. I Still Love You" and "Always and Forever, Lara Jean'). I absolutely loved the movie that dare I say as someone who reads a lot of books, that I might like the movie a little more than the book.

Even though those are the two big book to movie adaptations that I watched this year, there were so many movies that I heard nothing but great things about. One example would be "The Hate U Give," based on the book by Angie Thomas. That movie got a lot of great reviews from what I heard and even though I have not read the book or seen the movie, I can tell that this is a much-needed movie with a topic that needs to be discussed more. Yes, I am talking about the Black Lives Matter movement. Another movie that I have heard a lot about that has recently come out was "Dumplin'" based on the book by Julie Murphy. This is also a Netflix movie, but it takes on body positivity in a beauty pageant scene. This is a similar situation with "The Hate U Give" for me, but I will definitely get on those books before I see the movie.

There are so many more movies that I could mention, but those four are some that have changed the ideas of the book to movie adaptations. I wonder what the next year will have in store...