Why BMI Is TMI

Why BMI Is TMI

You do not need to know your BMI to be healthy and happy.

7
Why BMI Is TMI

I am no health expert and I am only speaking from personal experience, but the BMI (body mass index) scale is not necessary to health and happiness. I, along with many others, have had my confidence destroyed after calculating my BMI online one time or another. Whether my BMI hasn't been low enough in the range of healthy weights or whether I am '.1' points overweight, I always feel that my score isn't good enough. After all, I am human and it hurts to not feel normal or to know that I don't look like the "ideal" woman.

But I have come to realize that there is no ideal woman, let alone an ideal human being.

That is why I say "BMI is TMI". Because there is no benefit to knowing your BMI that is greater than the destruction of self-image that comes with it. BMI shouldn't matter if you genuinely feel healthy and happy. The reality is that everyone has the potential to be healthier and health should be a priority to you, but your weight and height shouldn't define your health. You are worth more than your weight and you have the ability to make healthy choices for yourself that genuinely make you feel good. Not once have I heard of someone who has calculated their BMI and been satisfied.

You will never be satisfied with yourself if you rely on something that doesn't even know you to tell you if you are healthy and attractive or not. If you love yourself and love how you look, then why strive to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed? If being healthier would genuinely make you happy, then strive to be healthier. But BMI isn't necessary in order to do that. Self love is more important than weight in my opinion, and you deserve every ounce of self love that you can give to yourself.

The last reason why I despise BMI is that it doesn't take into account that everyone is unique. No two people are exactly the same (except maybe identical twins). So why try to confine yourself to be a certain weight and look the same as everyone else. There is no one way that you should look. You are beautiful just the way you are, inside and out. So why change to look perfect in society's eyes?