Why I Became A Sorority Girl

Why I Became A Sorority Girl

It's not your typical sorority...

190
Why I Became  A Sorority Girl
Raegan Thomas

Back in high school, if someone would have said to me, "Raegan, you'll be one of the ones joining a sorority when you get to college," I would have laughed in their face. I was not very social, nor did I hang around a bunch of girls. My friend groups even changed after my first semester of college. It seemed like I could never keep a good close girlfriend, whom I could shop with, confide in, and trust. I was hoping for a friendship you would see in the movies or on television.

I learned very quickly in high school that girls do not operate that way. Loyalty is hard to come by and most people only look out for themselves. It's sad but true. When I would picture who would be standing up beside me on my wedding day, it was a constant revolving door. No one stayed long. It hurt to know that some people didn't care to put in the time to keep up a friendship like I wanted to. When I reached college, I hoped for a different outcome. In most cases, it was a different setting and yet the same outcome.

Quality will trump quantity every time. I have a few friends that I know will have my back, and to be honest, that's all you really need.

A year ago, I joined a sorority. I think it surprised many people, especially my family. When they learned why I join, and what my sorority was centered on, then it all made sense.

Alpha Delta Theta is the Christian service sorority at High Point University. It's a group of girls that meet once a week to worship God through prayers, praises, and devotions. Small in numbers, but ladies with huge hearts.

I grew up with a brother and never knew what it was like to have a sister. I was excited to find out, and to this day I am proud to say I have many sisters. Sisters in a sisterhood, and in Christ. I needed a group of Christian believers, and I needed familiar faces and a safe place to land on campus.

My mom is my best friend. She has been my shopping buddy, the one I confide in, and the one I trust with all my heart. When I went away to college, knowing that those heart to heart conversations would have to be over a phone call was so hard. Alpha Delta Theta allowed me not to feel so lonely.

Now, a group of around sixty girls can be challenging, especially for my personality and energy levels. As I said before, I am not a super social human being. We may be sisters, but that doesn't mean cliques and tensions don't happen. It can be exhausting, but that doesn't mean the friendships aren't worth it.

In a sisterhood, we all are family, and like families, we don't always see eye to eye. That's okay! It sucks when family members are at odds, but it happens. It doesn't mean you pick sides or stop loving one another. At the end of the day, we must get over ourselves and realize the one thing that holds us together.

Jesus.

Our faith in Jesus is what brought us together as a sisterhood, and it is what holds us together. Our mission is to show God's love through service, which means actions. I love my sisters and I love that I am surrounded by awesome women that have the same mission, to serve Jesus Christ.

When I look back on my years at college, Alpha Delta Theta will be one of the things that I remember most. Within just a year, there have been so many memories I know I will never forget.

God knew exactly what I needed when he led me to join this group of women, and I have been so thankful and blessed to be elected as their chaplain for this semester and for the fall. It has been something that has drawn me closer to God, and I enjoy every minute of it.

ADT sisters, I love each and every one of you. Thank you for accepting me into your family and giving me sisters!